Photos of 5700 Vortec needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings All ... I am putting back together the engine bay on a 1996 Tahoe, 5.7L Vortec after a Lower Intake Manifold gasket replacement. I did not take pictures before starting the project (in January, some things came up). It is May, and all is being put back together, but I don't remember routing/weaving of the 'over the engine' wiring/hoses/tubes. Do anyone have some good engine bay photos they could post? Perhaps one from above and another with emphasis around the back of the engine/distributor area? I need somewhat longer shots but the photos I have found lose detail because of poor lighting.

Much thanks in advance!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main harness comes up over the passenger rear side valvecover, crosses over about where the coil bolts down to the other side. I just put an engine in my Sierra (same bay). If you still need some shots I will try to get one or two, but it is raining here for now....

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Photos would be much appreciated. Time is not crucial. If possible I would like to see the general "over/under" weaving pattern of the wiring. I need to recall the changes that we made when putting in a throttle body extender. Also of interest is the configuration of two wiring holders (left side towards the fire wall and right side around the coil). The photos I have found online are either badly contrasted (can't see detail) or are a wrong iteration of the motor (like in the Haynes manual).

A confession on this ... normally I am more meticulous about marking connectors and taking pre-operation photos. This time I arrogantly thought "a day in, a day out", just go for it, not enough time to forget the r & r. But I sheered an intake bolt with the improper use of a new torque wrench, had some troubles with bolt shaft removal, and had two other and more important to us vehicles that came up for service ... thus, the project was started in January (or maybe February) and I am feeling some pressure to wrap it up, LOL. Much thanks!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left the bracketry on the passenger side off, I had seen several people delete it and decided on my new engine I wasn't putting it back.... My wiring is not perfect, but works....

Jungle Rooster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squeasel - Not sure if this will help....I have another one, too...but not close ups.... I can send the full size file to you if that would help
picture.php

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jungle Rooster ... Much thanks. A larger version would be helpful. I will PM you with my email address unless you have a different way.

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @JungleRoosters photos which were key in find a "not hooked up" vacuum hose while attempting to pass smog. Hose found (from right bank to PCV on left bank), smog passed, truck back on road. Hey 'hoe, let's go!!