Pitman and Idler arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redhat-z

Reaction score
I have a 98 Yukon 4x4. Has anyone here ever replaced the pitman and idler arms themselves? I'm in the middle of it now and it just seems impossible. The front crossmember is in the way, the ball-stud on the idler arm just spins which won't allow me to remove the nut to pull the arm. There is no way to "just use a pitman arm puller". Any suggestions?

BigRob

Reaction score
I wedged a ball joint separation tool in there to keep the end from spinning while I loosened the nut. Then to remove the idler arm from the rest of the assembly, I basically had to pull the entire assembly and then at that point I just replaced it all.

As far as the pitman arm, I may just have to pay someone to fight with that one.

Rob

redhat-z

Reaction score
Thanks. I never could get the pitman arm out so I gave up. I put everything back together and took it to Consolidated Tire here in Louisville. I've heard nothing but goods things about them and they quoted me $350 labor to install Inner and Outer Tie Rod Ends, Adjusting Sleeves, Pitman Arm, Idler Arm, Alignment.
Hell Yeah!!! Worth every ...ing penny.

redhat-z

Reaction score
Got the truck back today. After I paid, I wondered into the service area and found the guy that worked on mine to find out how he got the Pitman Arm off. At first he said he just used a pitman arm puller. I said "No F***ing Way!" Then he said he actually had to undo the steering gear box from the frame and dislodge it forward to get at the arm. Then he heated the arm, attached the pitman arm puller, and used an air hammer all around the top part of the arm. He had to do this about 3 time before it came off. He said he has never had an easy one on these trucks.

If anyone here can do it themselves at home, I commend you.

redhat-z

Reaction score
When I was working on it, I noticed some play in the ball-stud of the pitman arm. Before all the work there was quite a bit of play in the steering. Now its nice and tight. There are ball-studs on the inner tie-rods, outer tie-rods, pitman arm, and I believe the idler arm also. Thats potentially 6 places of play in the steering linkage. Replacing it all at once showed a difference of night and day.

DOOZ

Reaction score
They are hard but do-able

For future reference to anyone else who dare's try. These pitman arms can be very stuborn. If you do one make sure you use a pitman arm pull tool, it is pretty much necessary to loosen the steering gearbox from the frame (4 bolts through drivers side frame) becareful not to let the box slide toward the front of the truck, too much and you might end up with your sterring wheel doing the pimp lean! Then come in with the pitman arm tool from the drivers side parallell to the sterring linkage there are grooves in the ball stud only accessable this way; also going to need a B.F.Hammer. Just slide the hammer along the linkage to drive the pitman tool in, seperating the joint once replaced tighten back up the gearbox before torqing down the pitman/ linkage assy. GOOD LUCK -- DOOZ

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new idler arm a while back, and took it to a muffler shop who quoted me something like 35 bux to install it.. took them like 3hrs.. they went in the hole on that one.. they didn't have the tools they needed at all - but my truck has been in the shop twice getting a new pitman arm seal - not sure if you have to pull the pitman arm to put one of them on or not?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too hard to do on those. The newer chevys are a pain in the ass my brother's 03 dmax was a bastard you have to drop the steering box.

USMCRay

Reaction score
Do you have to replace the idler, pitman, and the two brackets? Where is a good place to get quality parts from?

tahoemyhoe

Reaction score
First time here at Tahoe Forum....I am changing Pitman arm, have it removed....trying to replace back on the gear box using torque, torch, impact...ISSS NOTTT WORKING HELP ....WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

tahoemyhoe

Reaction score
Adter damaging the gear box...errrr.come to find out had the new arm does not go on as far as it seemed the original did!! Idler arm came right off and just as easy to put back on..thanks for asking

Woodstock

Reaction score
Mine was the same way. I spent a few hours trying to find someone to press it on the rest of the way. Theres about 1/4 inch between the arm and the seal. I dont like it, but I'm told that as long as the nut is tight, its ok.

mcfanny

Reaction score
i just bought pitman idler and inner and outers looks like I'm in for some fun and a whole sat trying to replace the damn things.