Power Coating ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried searching but couldnt find what i was looking for. I want to power coat my stock rims to a black. I am not looking for a high gloss, probably a semi gloss but i dont know how that works with powercoating. Has anyone tried this, how did it turn out, what were costs per wheel or for the enitre project, and would you do it before or after buying new tires ? also any pictures ?
-thanks

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $140 for my 20s in gloss, should be cheap for smaller wheels but I got a pretty good deal
IMG00055.jpg

IMG00278.jpg

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought the wheels off the guy, I did this to his truck and he sold them to me for cheap
IMG00132.jpg

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do they do the process ? remove the tires, prep. sand blasting etc. because i will also be getting tires and was wondering if i should get the wheels done before or after i put the new tires on.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get them done before and clean the wheels so they charge you less. They usually prep them with a sandblasting or just scuff them up and clean them.

Harry Pluta

Reaction score
Powdercoating has to be cured in a 450 degree electric oven. You clean the item first, use an electrostatic gun to apply the powder coating material, then bake the item. The voice of experiance is telling you NOT to use your wife's oven. Just a word to the wise.....

For larger items they sell a set of high temp lights, I have never tried these, but for a frame or other large pieces it might be the way to go. Once I get my new garage built I would like to pick up a couple of old electric ovens from the Salvation Army store and strip the elements and controls to build my own cabinet for small to medium size items. Nothing lasts quite like a good powder coat job.

-Harry