Progress pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I look at the pictures and compare them to the stock one's on mine, I'm not so sure they're stock. The step pad looks just a little different. There wouldn't be much of a difference though if you just had your stockers painted. I'm excited to get mine back!

m0bmentality

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Are the running boards the stockers and just painted? If so, how much did it cost it to paint them?

my body guy charged me 100$ to paint my stocks there is only 2 issues.. ONE it HAS to be bulldogged and have flex additives and TWO you have to mask off the oval area where you step and leave it black or it will wear BAD..

i like this truck alot but with the painted side skirts and the valance still grey it kinda looks saggy in the middle.. pull the front valance and have it painted to match..

(tip: take a small screwdriver and push the saftys out from the top instead of pulling them out.. and plan on having to cut away two of them that you cant get to with a pair of wire snips.)

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my body guy charged me 100$ to paint my stocks there is only 2 issues.. ONE it HAS to be bulldogged and have flex additives and TWO you have to mask off the oval area where you step and leave it black or it will wear BAD..

i like this truck alot but with the painted side skirts and the valance still grey it kinda looks saggy in the middle.. pull the front valance and have it painted to match..

(tip: take a small screwdriver and push the saftys out from the top instead of pulling them out.. and plan on having to cut away two of them that you cant get to with a pair of wire snips.)

pardon my lack of edcation on the subject... but what is "bulldogged" and "flex additives"

m0bmentality

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pardon my lack of edcation on the subject... but what is "bulldogged" and "flex additives"

bulldog is a pre paint additive that "bites" into the plastic and in return allows the paint to bind to the bulldog... (so you dont see the paint fall off in huge plates down the road)

Flex additive is the same thing they add to stuff like motorcycle fairings that are designed to flex and move.. these two things will make sure paint clings to flexible plastic and stays pretty over time and wear.. and not just till you put it on. :thumbsup:

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to paint the grey trim on my Z71... it doesnt sound like i need the flex magilicutty... but maybe this bulldog jones you are talking about.

Originally i was planning on taking the trim off... sanding the crap out of it... using some kind of filler primer... sanding the crap out of it again... priming it and then painting as normal...

is this going to work or do you think this "bulldog" pre paint addative is the thing to use?

m0bmentality

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to paint the grey trim on my Z71... it doesnt sound like i need the flex magilicutty... but maybe this bulldog jones you are talking about.

Originally i was planning on taking the trim off... sanding the crap out of it... using some kind of filler primer... sanding the crap out of it again... priming it and then painting as normal...

is this going to work or do you think this "bulldog" pre paint addative is the thing to use?

well im admittedly speaking primarily from anecdotal experience BUT.. if you have ever sprayed plastics and it kinda bubbles or clears out or repels paint.. those are specific instances of bulldog needs...

now to answer the real question...

They are plastic now.. so they do flex.. heat.. cold.. a door bumping it.. anything.. and down the road it will have spider cracks in it it might take a year.. it might now..

In my OPINION (and its just an opinion) if you do body filler over plastic or rubber.. it will crack.. if you paint it without bulldog it will basically be a single piece of paint , cured like a cover, hovering over a material it cant cling to.. and it will eventually fail... and if you dont use a flex additive it will crack as soon as the rubber does its job and flexes at all

scuff it.. bulldog it.. flex additives.. no body filler and plan on it lasting a long ass time....

changing any of those things will not nessacarily ruin it.. just increase risk.

m0bmentality

Full Access Member
Reaction score

sorry this kinda highjacked a portion of your post Boss,

if youre worried about the texture that is on it now.. pm me and ill take some pics and show you mine up close.. it (2 coats) is shinier and has more pearl effect than the rest of the truck (8 coats+ )

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grrr..... every time i think i have a handle on the right way to paint the plastic peices, someone rains on my parade

BOSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry this kinda highjacked a portion of your post Boss,

if youre worried about the texture that is on it now.. pm me and ill take some pics and show you mine up close.. it (2 coats) is shinier and has more pearl effect than the rest of the truck (8 coats+ )

All good...whiting out some interior soon, learned a lot myself :)

m0bmentality

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good...whiting out some interior soon, learned a lot myself :)

word i wanna see the interior stuff when you get it done... interior stuff scares me

i think you spraying that front air dam/ valance or getting it sprayed will even your truck out so much and make it look alot lower in the process :thumbsup: