question about magnaflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry guys... just cant make up my mind between the magnaflow and the flowmaster... is the magnaflow just a high priced glass pack?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow mufflers are not some BS packed mufflers, their actually performance Lifetime long mufflers!
They have proven sound and power gains unlike Flowmaster which has only proven sound gains!
Flowmastera are louder but common we have Tahoes/Yukons on this site and not Silverados/Avalanches so it shouldn't sound like a truck but an SUV anyway!

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you do recomend this magna?

i just thought that maybe its a Glass Pack BS muffler...

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I do recommend the Magnaflow!
And not Magnaflow is acrually a bigger and better cimpany than Flowmaster with higher quality products!
Flowmaster is good and all but more of a Muscle brand for people interested in more sound over performance, though I almost went with their 50 series SUV performance muffler!

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny you mention the 50 series... because thats what i have on order from a local parts store.... i presently have a 24" magnaflow sitting on my floor in front of me. just not sure which to install

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on who you are and what you like.
I preferred Magnaflow after people telling me its the best for 07-Up GM cars due to the V4-V8 Economy function and how it would sound crappy if it went to V4 with a Flowmaster (don't even know if its true).
But other than that Flowmaster may be better for you, is chambered so lounder adn probably more drone in the interior.
Plus the Magnaflow muffler I got has gotten louder from the day I installed due to break in time (400 miles) because at first I was like WTH???, did I just really pay $300 for this? Now I'm like i'm happy I paid $300 for this!

Pooh Bear

Reaction score
I had the 50 series Flowmaster - Nnaboy is right - just alot of noise. I didn't really notice any gain in power. I know both of you don't like the glasspacks, but I did notice a gain in power from the C. B. Vortex. Yes, I now know they are glasspacked. lol However, I do hear good things about Magnaflow. Now that you have both, clamp one on and try it out for a week. Then swap in the other. If your fortunate enough to have a dyno in your garage then that would be the true test. Good luck.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone else wanna chime in here? 24" stainless magnaflow VS the 13" stainless flowmaster 50 series...

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A flowmaster muffler will give you more popping and raspy tone. I personally think it's one of the best sounding mufflers. Magnaflow seems to be a more mellow, monotone rumble. I went with a 50 series big block suv muffler and am very happy. Love the sound - could care less if I gain HP.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well either way, its going to be louder then most because i am not going to have any tail pipe, i am just going to run a turn down right after the muffler. so should be good and loud no matter what.... i think i am gonna go with the magnaflow

HOGWILD

Reaction score
you want power gains...more flow- sound just as loud as a flowmaster but better sound go with the 6 inch magnaflow race series ...just put one in mine...had the 14 inch (20 inch overall) magnaflow with dual out sounded good but I wanted more...now it's the best sounding tahoe I have heard in a long time.
won't use anything else now...I'm very happy with it and even with all the sound there is still no drone like a flowmaster...I have had alot of exhaust from flowmaster to dynamax to corsa...my setup now is by far the best I have had yet.
it's louder then a super 44 flowmaster but deeper and with that magnaflow sound...can't get much better then that....my friends are all amazed at the sound of my exhaust...and can't believe that you can't hear that much in the cab no drone at all...very well made muffer

Last edited:

DENALI_101

Reaction score
anyone else had a problem with magnaflow being too loud? i have a 2004 denali yukon xl and had a magna flow cat back system on for a fee weeks. but had to take it off because it was almost undrivable at like 1500-2k rpms it rumbled so loud it gave me headaches. it was only crazy loud at that range. just curious to see if anyone had the same thing?