Questions about 20" Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblackchevy

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am thinking about putting 20's on my 2005 Hoe. So I have a few questions before I make the plunge.

Will they affect my gas mileage?

Will I need bigger brakes?

Will I need to get the Odometer reprogrammed? Not a big deal, I have a custom tune.

What tires do 20's owners run on them? I'm thinking about Michelin LTXs. It's a daily driver plus I tow a boat with it.

Also, has anyone tried to sell their stock rims with the tires on them? I have Michelin CrossTerrains on mine only 20K miles on them. The local tire shop feels I can easily get $800 if not more for them.

Thanks

DutchTBI

Reaction score
Zoetermeer ( Sweetlake City) The Netherlands
I have 285/50/20 Hankook Ventus on my 20"s. The steering became more responsive and direct and they're a lot more quite than the stock Firestone Wilderness that were on my 16"s. I like these Hankooks very much.

fuel consumption is al little higher but not much. With the 285/50/20's the odometer is more precise than before. Before driving 120 km/h was actually somewhere around 114 km/h, now it's almost exact 120 km/h.

Still have got the stock brakes, no noticible difference after putting on the 20"s.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gas consumption might increase, but the increase is probably negligible and you most likely won't notice. You shouldn't need larger breaks to run 20's. I run 22's and don't really notice any break loss. If you decide to run 24's or more, I would definitely suggest it though. If you run a tire that gives you the same overall diameter as your stock 16" set-up, you won't need to program the odometer. If you run something larger or smaller, than you might want to. It really depends how picky you are. Mine is off 1-2 mph, but it doesn't really bother me. You MIGHT be able to get $800 for your stockers, but I wouldn't necessarily hold your breath. I've seen lots of sets of aftermarket rims and tires going for only a few bucks more. As sales go though, it only takes one buyer.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 285/50/20's and didn't change much on gas, or braking.
Running Nitto 420S's...

Jerome A Franks

Reaction score
You might want to see my thread I made regarding 24's.. Might be a lil different but you can at least see some of the response I got.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
Any time you increase unsprung weight (you're exchanging rubber for metal, so you're increasing the overall weight of the wheel/tire combo) you *should* consider improving the braking. It may not be perceptible, but everything I've read on the subject says that stopping distance will increase when plus-sizing your wheels. If you don't want to get into larger rotors and better calipers, at a bare minimum you should replace your rubber hoses with SS braided, and consider a more aggressive pad compound.

You may never feel a difference, but if you have to make just one panic stop to avoid an accident, it could mean the difference between a smashed front end and walking away intact.

_dennis

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After i put the 22's on my kon, i did notice a little more braking effort when stopping. It actually feels more like if i had hella passengers or weight in the truck. I am going to step up my braking system with larger rotors and calipers down the road. I would suggest to replace them, but you can wait. And i run nitto 420's. the mileage changed about 2-3mpg less bu the odometer did not.