Rear Passenger Disk Brake Not Actuating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z7111

Reaction score
2004 Tahoe Z71 225,000 miles

When I bought the Tahoe, the right rear brake rattled as if it were loose. The caliper had a leaking piston seal. Replaced caliper, pads, hardware, and rotor. Bled brake, seemed fine. After a few stops, started squeaking when I apply brakes. Bled again. Drove 1,000 miles or so with the sqeak...pulled wheel off and rotor still has factory lines as if the pads have never squeezed the rotor at all. I replaced the hose and did another super thurough bleed. Still squeaks. I have checked each time with the wheel off and the brake is at least squeezing enough to prevent me from turning the rotor. But apparently it does not actuate hard enough to smooth out the factory lines on the rotor.

I do get seemingly free flowing fluid each time I bleed it so its not like the line is clogged.

Whats up?

KLFER

Reaction score
how does the other side look? left and right side share same brake line so you should have equal pressure if not you might have a frozen caliper but if so the caliper doesn't release when you let off the pedal. it take time for the machine finish marks to go away.try swapping pads side to side. from the info given i feel its the caliper. i have had issues with reman calipers right out of the box before.

z7111

Reaction score
I took it back apart yesterday. Only one of the two pistons on that caliper would actuate. I compressed the one that actuates with a clamp and pressed the brake again which forced the other one out. Then I opened the fluid container and compressed them both back in. While compressed, I repeatedly bled the brake again. It seems to have fixed it. The wear lines appear to be forming. I guess the squeak was occuring because only one tip of the pad was contacting. If it comes back, I will post.

Although they share one inner line, each brake has its own outer line. It is not uncommon to change a brake pad and the simple movement of the hose causes a particle to break off and clog the line--warranting a replacement. That was the reason I thought it could be the line.