Rear Wiper Motor - Replaced but no luck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markvdb

Reaction score
Thanks to all

I attached a ground wire from the torx screw fitting on the wiper motor to the bolt that holds the locking mechanism plate to the door and whala, after 4 years of no rear wiper, it works! Saved me from buying a new motor which is what I was about to do. I had also cleaned off ground g410, at the rear passenger pillar but that didn't do the trick. Now for that rear defroster that doesnt work. When I unclip the wire at either end, I can see a slight spark, but no defrosting. Any ideas?

dh04yuk

Reaction score
My situation was my 2004 Yukon SLT. The rear wiper just stopped working with no sounds at all. Washer nozzle worked just fine. I removed the motor intending to just replace it and for giggles tried a Yahoo! search. Thank you to technician Scott on justanswer.com for what appears to be a common problem on our trucks. The solution was an orange wire that was detached at the loom connector at the hatch. I opened the hatch and at the upper rght (passenger side) is the wire loom. I pulled back the boot at the body and sure enough the orange wire had pulled out of the connector. I unplugged the connector and re-attached the orange wire and soldered it for good measure. Installed the motor and wiper arm again and presto works like a champ. For those with no action at all this might be a quick fix without having to even remove the wiper motor.

On the rear wiper motor connector you should have 5 wires: green, orange, grey, black, and pink with a black stripe. Orange wire should have battery voltage all the time, green wire should have battery voltage when rear washer switch is depressed, grey should have battery voltage in pulse 1, and reduced voltage in pulse 2, black is ground, and pink black will be grounded only if the liftglass or either liftgate ajar switch is closed(meaning liftglass ajar or liftgate ajar).

Thanks to all those who post up their solutions!

Last edited:

Crazywelder72

Reaction score
after exploring the ground point behind the speaker on the passenger side and finding no problem, i then when back to the motor. played games with the meeter and the plug trying to figure it all out, played with the switch for the glass and saw how that works... looked for pinched, loose or melted wires at the gromets and couldnt find any..

lastly i did the jumper wire, from the wiper motor torx bolt to a hex bolt at the window latch. It fixed it!!! :waytogo:

i just hope (but i doubt) it will fix the rear defroster also. where should i look for that issue?

Crazywelder72

Reaction score
actually i think it was something a bit different. the very next day i smelt burning wires up front. i took the key out and could hear the arcing and saw smoke rising from the hood release at the kick panel. i ripped the panel off and had to rip off the rocker panel and flipped up the carpet. i found 3 orange wires (one thin and 2 thick) and 2 were shorting out against the floor. they were doing this for a looooooooong time as you can see from the corosion. i have no idea how or why... but i removed the bad sections and then patched it back together and put them in split loom tubing.

1208121040a.jpg

1208121106.jpg

1208121109.jpg

1208121113b.jpg

pcook79

Reaction score
My situation was my 2004 Yukon SLT. The rear wiper just stopped working with no sounds at all. Washer nozzle worked just fine. I removed the motor intending to just replace it and for giggles tried a Yahoo! search. Thank you to technician Scott on justanswer.com for what appears to be a common problem on our trucks. The solution was an orange wire that was detached at the loom connector at the hatch. I opened the hatch and at the upper rght (passenger side) is the wire loom. I pulled back the boot at the body and sure enough the orange wire had pulled out of the connector. I unplugged the connector and re-attached the orange wire and soldered it for good measure. Installed the motor and wiper arm again and presto works like a champ. For those with no action at all this might be a quick fix without having to even remove the wiper motor.

On the rear wiper motor connector you should have 5 wires: green, orange, grey, black, and pink with a black stripe. Orange wire should have battery voltage all the time, green wire should have battery voltage when rear washer switch is depressed, grey should have battery voltage in pulse 1, and reduced voltage in pulse 2, black is ground, and pink black will be grounded only if the liftglass or either liftgate ajar switch is closed(meaning liftglass ajar or liftgate ajar).

Thanks to all those who post up their solutions!

I know this is an old thread, but I had this issue where the orange wire was to blame. I connected the wire back, but for the life of me I cannot get the rubber boot/grommet back over the connector. Any advice on a way to get the grommet back on easily?

Thanks

glindekugel79

Reaction score
I have the same thing going on right now with my rear wiper. 2003 Escalade. I checked the voltage on A and it was 9 volts. The B-C-D is looking solid 12 though. It will sit there and click, but won't sweep. If I I open the lift of push the button the wiper will sweep and settle back to the location at rest. What would cause a low voltage, bad ground? Plus, where is the OEM ground for this circuit located? I was going to run a jumper next to see if that is the issue.

glindekugel79

Reaction score
Score one for the Tahoe Thread!! I did a lead from the Ground on the wiper harness to the Latch with a ring terminal. Wipes all day now. Thanks guys. It was driving me nuts.

Skynet

Reaction score
Wire Harness

You may also want to check the rear hatch wire harness. This is what I found on my 05 Tahoe Z71. This harness is located at the top right of the body feeding the rear hatch. I have not tackled the job yet.
I had to pull the fuse to keep the rear wiper motor from trying to run.
Looks like a ground wire that is shorted & I see another burnt mark on the black wire by the ABG washer fluid hose (think that's what it is).

Attachments

• Harness.jpg
    Harness.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 10