Reliability of Chevrolet products

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

developercanada

Reaction score
Hi,

I am an owner of a 2003 Tahoe LT-Autoride. Around 135,000 kms (84,000 miles), I started getting some sensor issues with it. The computer started to display those messages "Service Brake System", "Service Stability System", "Service Ride Control".

Now, I tried to have it diagnosed by my dealership, but the cost is outrageous, $400+ to begin with! and yet, nothing fixed! Just early diagnosis stage!

When I looked underneath my truck (next to the rear bumped on the passenger side), there's a huge electrical hub. I did notice that the end of the cables next to the plug are not that protected with rubber, in other words, there are not sealed, pretty much like those ones found under the hood next to the engine. I am not an electrician, but to me, this engineering practices could create some sort of shorts and could send wrong information to the computer. I am not saying that's the reason, but obviously, doens't help to keep an electrical system healthy!

Now, with my work I have to cab quite often, and 1 day, I took a cab. It was a 2008 Chevrolet Uplander and I did notice that the brakes and ABS lights on the dashboard were turned on. I did question his about this issue and the driver told me that GM can never fix those issues. They always come back and to his knowledge, talking to other cab drivers, those issues haven't yet been fixed.

Now, I have 255,000 kms (158,000 miles) and I have to turn off my Traction Control as it turns itself on (on dry pavement) once in a while for no reasons.

Finally, here is my question: I planned to keep my Tahoe until the next model (2014) will be realeased. I love my Tahoe, but I doubt that GM would have fixed those issues (previous paragraph). I do not want to spend money onto another Large GM SUV to find out that few years later it will be the same story. Due to the lack of professionalism in their built, I am planning to either switch to Ford or Toyota for my next large SUV. It's a shame, but the facts are here.

Any thoughts, comments and/or advice?

Thank you very much in advance,

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So......what was your question again?? Oh I see, your just on this Chevy Tahoe forum to bash our trucks for their lack of quality control. Okie dokie. I believe all vehicles are made by imperfect humans so there will be problems with all brands. Go ahead and get a ferd or toy, whatever floats your boat.

newTahoeDude

Reaction score
Keep with the brand

The Tahoe I have has 240k miles and has no lights on, I have driven 2012 tahoe's and suburbans ALSO with no lights on or issues. Case and point you might have a lemon but the brand is good and you should have no problems buying a brand new one (except they might need another bail out!!! LOL). They make a good SUV and as long as you find a good mechanic to take it to after the warranty is up instead of the stealership then repairs should be cheaper and of course with proper maintenance it will last forever!