Remote start complaint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In regards to the factory remote start....I have had remote starts on my cars for over 11 years now. While I use it sparingly to start in the morning ,I especially liked the feature of parking, keep the engine running but take out the keys and lock the car. This was great for the kids watching tv , keeping a cold engine running,or A/C on while I went into say.. a 7-11 for a cup of coffee. (no comments of kids in the car alone please :lol:) My GMC remote start does not have that option. I just assumed it would be on the factory remote....it's not like this is a new thing for car alarms:mad2:
What the hell:umn: Now when I want to do that I have to turn the car off and start it again. So I drive the car 3 minutes to the local 7-11 @ 5:00 A.M.,turn it off :mad2: and start it cold again to keep it warm. A few years down the road when the battery isn't as strong it'll probably die on me at 5 A.M. and 3 degrees F! Is this an oversight or something GM did for a reason. Is there a way to change this? The manual says something about "the remote start will not operate when the key is in the ignition"
Small complaint, but aggravating:bur2:
Otherwise I really do love this ride:thumbsup:
I'm just ranting here but can't be the only one to have noticed this.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually start it about 10 mins before I leave for work so it's already warmed up. That and the 5 min drive to 711 takes care of the rest. When I stop by for coffee, I just shut it off and when I come back it's still warm enough, and since the car is warmed up already the heat comes on instantly.

Ofcourse, if you're leaving someone in the car that's old enough, you can leave the keys in the ignition and have them lock the car...

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In regards to the factory remote start....I have had remote starts on my cars for over 11 years now. While I use it sparingly to start in the morning ,I especially liked the feature of parking, keep the engine running but take out the keys and lock the car. This was great for the kids watching tv , keeping a cold engine running,or A/C on while I went into say.. a 7-11 for a cup of coffee. (no comments of kids in the car alone please :lol:) My GMC remote start does not have that option. I just assumed it would be on the factory remote....it's not like this is a new thing for car alarms:mad2:
What the hell:umn: Now when I want to do that I have to turn the car off and start it again. So I drive the car 3 minutes to the local 7-11 @ 5:00 A.M.,turn it off :mad2: and start it cold again to keep it warm. A few years down the road when the battery isn't as strong it'll probably die on me at 5 A.M. and 3 degrees F! Is this an oversight or something GM did for a reason. Is there a way to change this? The manual says something about "the remote start will not operate when the key is in the ignition"
Small complaint, but aggravating:bur2:
Otherwise I really do love this ride:thumbsup:
I'm just ranting here but can't be the only one to have noticed this.

Right after I bought my 08 in May I was in my 02 'Hoe and as I had the car running I noticed that I was able to take the key out of the ignition while the car was still running. I didn't know that until my last days with that truck being my everyday truck!! So when I've tried that with my 08, no freaken dice! I was kinda suprised at that.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your '02 may have had a bad ignition cylinder as you're not supposed to be able to remove key in any position except off. Years ago you could. Like in the fifties.

steven johnson

Reaction score
how do you like your 2-way remote ? any problems with it ? I have one install and its keeps giving tire pressure light, reset it and it only last a day before reseting it . Any information will be helpful

07tahizzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you like your 2-way remote ? any problems with it ? I have one install and its keeps giving tire pressure light, reset it and it only last a day before reseting it . Any information will be helpful

im having the same problem with my 07 tahoe...

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Are you saying that your remote gives a tire pressure alert?

Like it fine.

I'd go back to dealer and see what they can do.

steven johnson

Reaction score
took it to the dealer, and they found a crack wheel sensor (right front)and replace it. So far NO warning lites . Thanks for the help