Remote Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dearoledad

Reaction score
The range on the remote starter is ridiculously short. If I can't see the truck, it won't start. I am used to an aftermarket remote on my prior Tahoe. It would start from inside just about any eatery or office building. When it is 105 outside, you need a lot or time to cool things down and the "line of sight" thing means I can walk to the truck in about 45 seconds and that doesn't cut it. The old starter worked to about ¼ mile. When you are inside of an office building you need that kind of power just to reach 500 feet into the parking garage. Is there an aftermarket replacement key fob that has more reach than the OEM unit?

I don't care for the HVAC requirement to have the AUTO setting turned on. If I know it will be iced over in the morning and decide to set it on defrost instead of auto, there is no reason the heat shouldn't blow onto the windshield. But, some genius designer felt the truck knows better than the driver and instead heats the floor when the AUTO setting is on. I do, however, very much appreciate the seat warmers coming on.

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the seat warmers coming on are nice. It's like having an assistant set up your ride in the morning.(sometimes puts the wrong heater on though :) But I agree on the remote thing. The range sucks. I was also used to an aftermarket (Viper) which had unbelievable range and really downgraded with this factory remote. I can't help you with a solution but am curious if any reasonable replacements are out there.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you upgrade to the GM accessory 2way Advanced Remote Start (ARSS) the range bumps out to like 900 feet. Getting a confirmation on startup when out of sight line is a BIG plus. I think I paid less than $200 for the upgrade. Check it out... several threads here on it.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine is in "Auto" and it's cold outside, the remote start comes on w/ the defroster on.

Got the 2-way remote for $150 installed. Discovered that if you lock the doors manually and then check w/ the 2-way, it says they're still unlocked.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with the range of my remote starting my truck. If I were to guess it's well over 500 feet. I just don't see why you would need much more then that. The only down side to the remote start is I would like the truck to run longer then it does.

dearoledad

Reaction score
I have no problem with the range of my remote starting my truck. If I were to guess it's well over 500 feet. I just don't see why you would need much more then that. The only down side to the remote start is I would like the truck to run longer then it does.

Do you get 500 feet in a wide open parking lot? Or do you get 500 feet while inside of an office building treying to start the truck parked in a garage? The steel structure of office buildings and others cars in the garage shorten the range dramatically. That is why I would like to find a more powerful transmitter.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you get 500 feet in a wide open parking lot? Or do you get 500 feet while inside of an office building treying to start the truck parked in a garage? The steel structure of office buildings and others cars in the garage shorten the range dramatically. That is why I would like to find a more powerful transmitter.

I get 500 feet in a steel and concrete 1 story high warehouse that when I hit the remote start button that needs to extend through two concrete walls into the parking lot.

If I'M in a open area like a mall I can remote start my truck from even further. I want to say 1000 feet but don't want to lie, the next time I'm in an open area I measure it with the odometer on the truck.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I'm aware but I'm a pansy when it comes to the cold and I'll let the truck idle through 5 gallons of gas just so I can jump in a cozy warm ride...

solidgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case, call me a pansy too.....I just hate being in the -40F weather when I can remote start.

I am unable to locate "2way Advanced Remote Start" thread here. Anyone have the link handy?

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the worst luck with my remote I cant even start it 3 cars away in a parking lot. I'm not going to lie my best range is maybe 100ft in an open area.