Removal of roof crossbars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've RTFM'd, and it doesn't say, and I've searched the site and haven't found it.

So, how do you remove the crossbars from the roof rails? I can move them back and forth, but can't seem to remove them...

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2K. Before I could remove the screws in the end caps I first had to pry a plastic cap off. It just snaps in so it wasn't too bad to remove. Gently pry it out with a flat screw driver watching for where it snaps in. Then remove the end caps, don't remember but it might take a torx bit.

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take the screws off the end of the side rails of the roof rack and slide the cross bars off.

Not only you will need to remove two caps at each end, you will also need to remove/lift each end of the side rails. There are locks at the caps which can only be removed with the side rails removed/lifted. I would not try just taking the caps off b/c I broke them and had to buy a new set.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only you will need to remove two caps at each end, you will also need to remove/lift each end of the side rails. There are locks at the caps which can only be removed with the side rails removed/lifted. I would not try just taking the caps off b/c I broke them and had to buy a new set.

Don't know what year yours is but with my 2K it was pretty simple. I can see how if a guy wasn't carefull he could break the plastic covers prying them off but once they were off it was just the torx screws, pull the end cap off, and slide the rails off.

Good luck.