Removing Roof Racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So while doing some detail work on the ho, i wondered what it would look like sans the racks...i took the bolts out and thought it didnt look too bad. They've been on for around 8 years so theres a bit of a ring around where each base connects but nothing major. One thing is that the bolt holes are now exposed and I'm not sure what i should do to cover them up,,,,i could always insert the bolt back in but i want a cleaner look, any ideas?

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too think they look good w/o the rack and I'd like to know a good solution for this problem myself. I don't want any water making it's way inside my hoe. I guess maybe some shorter dome topped bolts would maybe work, but how do you make it good and waterproof? Thanks for any ideas.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would go with a short dome bolt like listed above and some silicon to seal it but be easy to remove.

Chasmanian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the plates to go over the holes on a web site, i will see if I can find them

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking shorter bolts and then adding black or chrome caps on top, just to clean it up a little bit

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what size are those bolts, and how long? I am going to go and try the silicon and domed bolt tonight. If i knew the size i could call around and find exactly what i need and wouldn't have to run around town test fitting bolts. thanks

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah....i think i ran across those last week..

theyre okay, if i really wanted to drop like a hundred bucks on them

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just took them off, I used a torq bit (looks like one of these * ). It was 10 bolts and they were easy to remove. I didn't like the way the holes were raised, but i just got a stainless steel domed bolt that was shorter (about 1") and i put silicone on the threads and i also used a rubber washer to add to the waterproofing and give the bolt a nice snug fit. I used black rubber washers. doesn't look too bad, plus, i can still use my rack if i need to, by just putting it back on.

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i did....but then i realized i had no replacement bolts on hand so i had to put it back on. I've been looking at chrome or black liscence plate caps that go over the screw heads to hide them....i'm sure it would work

RIDE N FLY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took my rack off and went to Home Depot bought 1/4' x 1/4' set screws. they fit perfectly. also get a thread sealant from any auto parts store. i have wash my truck since with no leakage.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/4 foot screws! Jeez ;)

Rubber washers will do the trick with screws of the same size. I think 3 inch screws might be pushing it tho ;)

Idahoe

Reaction score
Mine were metric also-M6-I found some dome type bolts and used some rubber washers and teflon tape on the threads, no problems, still need to paint them to match so they blend right in.

chrias

Reaction score
Just run a strip of 1 inch wide body side molding and run it along the roof to cover the holes. You will have to chamfer the molding to fit over the bolts. That's what I did.

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone has a Z71 roof rack that they would be interested in selling , please let me know with a price.

mtjsr

Reaction score
Hi all, bought an 05 low mile LS loaded and thought the z71 roof rack would look better on top. Are they swappable? and does anyone have a nice one for sale here? Thanks!