Removing the door bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myhoe07

Reaction score
Hey guys ,

Hey I've been thinking about taking off the door bumpers on my 07 ltz.. But I'm kinda nervous how it will come out... So if anybody has any pictures or advice that should be awesome

bowtie_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took off the badging on the side doors, which i'm fairly certain has the same material holding it on the vehicle as the guards. I used a hairdryer to loosen the material (similiar to 3M tape) and then removed each letter. After removal I used 3M adhesive remover and you couldn't even notice they were there.

Myhoe07

Reaction score
Yeah I know how to take everything off and stuff I'm just curious about the mOlding

TahoeJo

Reaction score
Yeah I know how to take everything off and stuff I'm just curious about the mOlding

So what are you asking then? The door moldings are held on with 3m tape. I have removed several of them on tahoes, yukons, silverados and sierras and they're simple to remove. I think they look allot cleaner with them gone myself. When i remove them i use a heat gun to warm the tape, and a plastic trim tool to pry the rear section up then just use a bit of force and pull the bumper off. Then i use a drill with a rubber "eraser" thats specifically made for removing the left over 3m tape and residue. After that all you do is use some kind of residue remover to leave a perfect finish.
So specifically what do you want to know, or are nervous about? Not to be a prick but you're somewhat fuzzy on your explanation of what you want to know. I would've just said the same thing that bowtie_hoe said, but you said you aready knew that.

Myhoe07

Reaction score
Yeah I probably didn't use a good choice of words....my bad
Man....but I just wanted to see what it would look like without them I know police Tahoe don't have them. It I would like to see a plain white one with no moldings I just can't decide weather I wanna take mine off or not

bowtie_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you don't like it, you can always put them back on with 3M double sided tape.

Diesel_187

Reaction score
I used that 3M eraser wheel and it worked great to take everything off. Then use some adhesive remover to get the residue off.

clkelley

Reaction score
Does it affect the black paint coat when using the eraser

Welcome to the neighborhood!

No, it will not effect the black paint adversely if you take your time with the 3M rubber wheel. It CAN be a good idea to was and buff the truck after, but none of this if done properly will hurt the paint. I find using something like fishing line, dental flow or something along those lines makes removing the molding a little easier as well.

As for pics, I don't have those to help you see what it will look like, sorry.

SgtBauer82

Reaction score
Pic of my LT with moldings removed

Had to wax and buff a few times, but now it looks flawless! The wife even says she loves it and she usually hates anything i do to her car.

Attachments

• 2007 Tahoe LT.jpg
    2007 Tahoe LT.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 26

AggiePhil

Reaction score
Personally, I think the trucks look too bare without something on the sides. Civilian Tahoes look weird without body side moldings. Police Tahoes look weird with them. I think it has to do with the fact that Police Tahoes have graphics on the doors. As long as something is there, I think it looks good. Your mileage may vary.