Removing the entire roofrack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thewes

Reaction score
I have a 07 Yukon and was curious how easy it is to remove the entire roof rack without having any leaks? Anyone ever done this?

bocaytomas

Reaction score
I removed it from my tahoe and I left the screws in to prevent any leaks it was REALLY simple to remove it, all you need is a torx screwdriver, forget which number.

houtex

Reaction score
when you replace the torx screws do they stick up?are they flush? got any pics?

bocaytomas

Reaction score
I would sell them, but the Tahoe is a Lease and i don't want the dealer to charge me extra for not having them

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed mine and did what bocaytomas did. However, the screws look like nubs and I couldn't stand it so I put my roof rack back on.

I want the esky rack but a sound system is at the top of the list.

Thewes

Reaction score
Just got it out of the way. I really don't mind the screws poking out a bit.

345862230_1187772979_0.jpg

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's an old thread here about removing the roof rack, with a picture of the results. I believe the author replace the screws with short stainless fasteners.

<edit> Oops, I see you've done it already. Looks nice IMO.

tenmark262

Reaction score
Rubber grommets. That's what the Police Pursuit Tahoe's use. Cheap. Flush. ...and keeps the water out!!

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed mine a couple years ago and used a body side molding from a Autobody paint shop to cover all the holes..actually just looks like another rib in the roof. As far as the Police package Tahoes all the ones up here in the Northeast have no holes at all smooth as can be...why can't GM just make it an option and give the rest of us the smooth look.

tenmark262

Reaction score
Tahoe-1.jpg

I've two Police Pursuit Tahoes, an 05 and 06. Both had grommets shown below. Easy, low cost, problem solved project.

DSCN8991.jpg

tenmark262

Reaction score
Tahoe-1.jpg

I've had two Police Pursuit Tahoes, an 05 and 06. Both had grommets as shown below. Easy, low cost field-tested solution.

DSCN8991.jpg

biggie1976

Reaction score
roof rack

do it the right way. do knot cheap out . just remove the roof rack drop the headliner drill out the nutcerts it kinda sucks . then weld in steel in holes . dont just fill in with bondo it wont last . sand smooth get panted ol done last as long as you own it

ezstriper

Reaction score
I fill the holes with a paintable sealant, let dry then touch them up with paint...always remove the dam things, ugly, in the way to wash/wax never use....