Replacement Speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottb

Reaction score
I could really use some help from you audio buffs. I have a 2000 tahoe and most if not all of the speakers are blown or just simply worn out...including the woofer in the back. That is a woofer...is it not? I prefer to keep the factory stereo but just need to know how to select the right speakers. I also have a 2001 tahoe and I replaced all the speakers in it but don't think I chose the right ones because it just doesn't sound like it should. How do you match up the right speakers to the stereo and what size are they in the front doors and back doors and the one in the back panel? I don't remember what size they were when I replaced them in the 2001 and would like to have them bought and ready this time as opposed to taking them out and measuring them and then going shopping. It's a 2000 LT (new body style) with the standard AM FM CD with a remote cassette player. Sure would appreciate some guidance.

scottb

Reaction score
Sorry, just realized there is a seperate forum for audio stuff so I posted on there too. Feel free to reply here though!

IronMan4Real

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some nice Kenwoods 6.5 for doors and they sound awesome. I replaced the tears with legacy 4x10 and they suck. Cheap offshore crap.
But I couldn't find any rear speakers locally and since factory were blown I just need something. If I come across better rears. I will replace them but the Kenwoods sound incredible.

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to replace them. Just buy new surround for them. Easy to replace. Cheaper too. The 8" speaker in the back is a subwoofer which is a woofer that deals with lower frequencies. High frequency speakers are tweeters if you didn't know.

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced mine with 6.5" both front doors and rear doors. also with the ones all the way in the back I got I believe they were 4"? kind of a pain to fit, and I had to customize a little bit, and now im running a 10" sub separately because of the factory sub sux... but for the most part Im running infinity speakers except the sub. Got them at a one stop shop Fry's electronics here in cali. Only reason I went with infinity was I have experience with them before and they last forever. If I didn't go with those I normally go with pioneer. they are bang for the buck too. But the infinity's have a more crisp sound to them.

my hoe is a new body 2000 by the way. and im running 2 amps along with 2 extra 6.5"s that the previous owner installed on the center console by the feet which add a little to the sound in the front. but if I balance it right it sounds really good, like surround sound lol.

scottb

Reaction score
Thanks metaldrgn

You don't have to replace them. Just buy new surround for them. Easy to replace. Cheaper too. The 8" speaker in the back is a subwoofer which is a woofer that deals with lower frequencies. High frequency speakers are tweeters if you didn't know.

I used your suggestion and it worked great. I never even knew you could do that! It was quite easy actually. Went to a dealer to price this woofer and its been discontinued so my options were slim.

Prospect62

Reaction score
Will any 6.5 speaker work in the doors or is there a special model we need? I have a 2001 Tahoe. I know some models can be picky with mounting tabs/depth/etc.

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to make sure the depth of the speaker isn't too much. Other than that you will probably need to buy an adapter to mount the speaker and either you can get an adapter for the connecter or splice it in.