Replacing a Rear Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m610

Reaction score
Last week while driving (1996 Tahoe) to Petaluma I suddenly got a noise out of the right rear that sounded to me like a bearing. I still haven't taken anything apart, waiting to learn more about what I am getting myself into. It should be an adventure.

If it is the axle bearing, it is available from Rock Auto as part of a kit that includes an axle.

Link: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1996,tahoe,5.7l+v8,1061356,drivetrain,axle+shaft,10439

The list is a bit confusing for me and I'm not sure if these are all the same part, just with different descriptions.

The relevant RPO Code for my Tahoe is G80, which translates as limited slip/positraction.

Can I get any advice on which Rock Auto part is the right one, and has anyone done this job before. I have the service manuals and it talks about several specialized tools for getting the bearing and seals in and out.

Thanks in Advance, Mike