Replacing Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96TAragtop

Reaction score
Hey, noobie here!

I am in the process of replacing the fuel pump- But ran into a problem. 1st off, I have a 2001 Denali XL.

I took the rear 2 filler hoses off, took off the tank straps, and though the rear of the tank dropped to the ground... I cannot seem to get the front of the tank to drop. It seems lose up there, but something is hanging it up! It will not pull out and drop all the way down! Any ideas? Has anyone else done a fuel pump R&R on one of these? I just don't know what is preventing this tank from dropping all of the way! I am almost there and don't have enough room to take out the old pump and install the new one with how it is now. Is there something on top against the floorpan that I cannot see, that is hanging this thing up?

HELP! :confused:

~George

DenaliAnyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the evap canister may need to be removed on the side of the tank

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fuel feed and return lines are on top at the front have you taken them off also be careful not to rip the wires out on top of the pump

96TAragtop

Reaction score
Yes, thank you! I did end up figuring it out, and you're right. There was two lines I couldn't see hanging it all up. I also ended up having to take 3 connections off of the EVAP canister. The wires in question were in plain sight and weren't really causing any problems. It was the 2 fuel lines up front. I didn't realize they disconnected up there, I just thought that once the tank dropped I would have to disconnect the fuel lines off of the pump itself.

Anyhow, hopefully this thread will help the next guy :)

z3ro

Reaction score
Yes, thank you! I did end up figuring it out, and you're right. There was two lines I couldn't see hanging it all up. I also ended up having to take 3 connections off of the EVAP canister. The wires in question were in plain sight and weren't really causing any problems. It was the 2 fuel lines up front. I didn't realize they disconnected up there, I just thought that once the tank dropped I would have to disconnect the fuel lines off of the pump itself.

Anyhow, hopefully this thread will help the next guy :)

Make sure when you button it back up that you attach the pump fuel lines AFTER the tank is raised back up and supported. Otherwise your fuel lines will crimp.