Reprograming tire pressure sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demonal

Reaction score
I have the sameeeee problem... Very interested also...

demonal

Reaction score
Is it in there, I didn't even bother checking for it, I thought it was a technical problem cause I have aftermarket wheels, I'll look right now...

demonal

Reaction score
I see it its on 5-79

1) Set the parking brake
2) Turn the ignition switch to on/run with the engine off
3) Press the remote keyless entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons at the same time for approx five seconds, the horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and tire learning active message displays on the DIC screen.
4) Start with the driver side front tire
5) Remove the valve cap from the valve cap stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tires air pressure for five seconds until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which may take up to 30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
6) proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in step 5.
7) Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in step 5
8) Proceed to the driver side rear tire the horn will sound two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire and the tpms sensor matching the process is no longer active. The tire learning active message on the DIC display goes off.
9) Turn the ignition switch to lock/off
10) Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the tire and loading information label
11) Put the valve caps back on the valve stems

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's simple to do, but remember to move quickly. You have a limited time to get them all done or it will "time out" on you. Good luck.

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really easy to do it even lights up on the correct corner turn signal so you dont do the wrong one

wasnt there some issue with the original sensors? if i remember right they were metal and the new ones are black rubber if you having issues that could be why

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The metal ones were discontiued due to corrosion issues in the rust belt. Mine still look new but then I wash it frequently, esp in the winter.

The rubber ones seem to be the ones w/ the most programming problems.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid retarded procedure.

I see it its on 5-79...

Actually, on my 2007 Yukon, it's page 494, and you have to press the and hold the DIC checkmark button instead of holding the remote buttons. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same.

It took me over an hour to get through the procedure correctly without the stupid thing timing out. I tried deflating for 5 seconds exactly, deflating for many seconds, inflating for 5 seconds exactly, inflating for several pounds, waiting up to 45 seconds for it to "register". It was very random and annoying altogether when each one did. Got all the way to the driver rear a few times, even. The sensors would either intermittently not register (single horn chirp), or the process would time out.

I killed my battery in the process too. Perhaps the cold and the low voltage made it difficult. It was a real pain in the butt hustling around the vehicle 20 times lugging my compressor from one side to the other. I finally got it worked out with the truck running, though I nearly died of CO poisoning, and I probably have pneumonia now. :mad2: At least it's fixed, though the dealer should have made sure that was right on Friday before I left after my tire rotation & alignment. Now, I'm ticked off again about the battery too. Evidently the dealer re-flashing the BCM on Friday per that TSB didn't do crap. Time for an Optima battery?

Last edited:

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my winter rims on Sunday and it was really easy to reprogram the sensors. I had to do it twice because the first time around I installed my tires on the wrong side of the vehicle. I, too, used the DIC to start the procedure but:

1. I did it with the engine running. It never crossed my mind to do it without the engine running--I didn't want to risk killing my battery.

2. I didn't time how long I let out air for. It was definitely longer than 5 seconds. I simply kept on letting out air until the horn beeped. The quicker you let out air, the quicker it learns.

3. I didn't have to rush around because 1 minute was plenty of time to go from wheel to wheel. There was no way that I could have relearned the tire sensors by increasing the psi because my compressor is too slow. I just added the air back in after reprogramming everything.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for an Optima battery?
This past month I've needed one jump start and the battery has almost died on a couple of other occasions. It makes me realize that the Denali is power hungry. I've reduced my exit lighting time to 30 seconds instead of 2 minutes and I don't sit in the car and listen to the radio for more than 10 minutes. It's really annoying. My wife wants to buy a new battery--I'd like to go with a dual-battery system.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you need 2 min of exit lighting, that's what's killing your battery.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i may have missed it but how do you actually set what pressures should be? do all four tires corresponde to what the psi in the front driver side tire (one you start with) is before or after you let the air out to activate the TPMS??

kinda confused on that one.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You let the air out so that the TPMS can register the correct sensor signal for each tire. It starts at the driver's front and then goes around clockwise. Once all four sensors are registered, you can just pump up the tires to their proper pressure. You won't have to relearn the sensors again until you swap/rotate the wheels.

dmargaros

Reaction score
Actually, on my 2007 Yukon, it's page 494, and you have to press the and hold the DIC checkmark button instead of holding the remote buttons. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same.

It took me over an hour to get through the procedure correctly without the stupid thing timing out. I tried deflating for 5 seconds exactly, deflating for many seconds, inflating for 5 seconds exactly, inflating for several pounds, waiting up to 45 seconds for it to "register". It was very random and annoying altogether when each one did. Got all the way to the driver rear a few times, even. The sensors would either intermittently not register (single horn chirp), or the process would time out.

I killed my battery in the process too. Perhaps the cold and the low voltage made it difficult. It was a real pain in the butt hustling around the vehicle 20 times lugging my compressor from one side to the other. I finally got it worked out with the truck running, though I nearly died of CO poisoning, and I probably have pneumonia now. :mad2: At least it's fixed, though the dealer should have made sure that was right on Friday before I left after my tire rotation & alignment. Now, I'm ticked off again about the battery too. Evidently the dealer re-flashing the BCM on Friday per that TSB didn't do crap. Time for an Optima battery?
I had exactly the same issue...it was a major PITA...tried it multiple times...inflating all the tires one at a time...couldn't get them to all register in a timely manner. Then tried the deflate method...again...couldn't get them to all register in a timely manner, if at all. Was very sporadic...ended up being more trouble than it was worth and just took it into dealer. All could have been avoided if the dealer would have just relearned the positions the last time they rotated the tires! Only found out that the positions were incorrect after I kept putting air into one particular tire only to see another tire position increase in psi!

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue...it was a major PITA...tried it multiple times...inflating all the tires one at a time...couldn't get them to all register in a timely manner. Then tried the deflate method...again...couldn't get them to all register in a timely manner, if at all. Was very sporadic...ended up being more trouble than it was worth and just took it into dealer. All could have been avoided if the dealer would have just relearned the positions the last time they rotated the tires! Only found out that the positions were incorrect after I kept putting air into one particular tire only to see another tire position increase in psi!

I wonder how long it took the dealer service tech?

Yeah, there ought to be a way to skip the sensors that are already learned, and go to the one or two that are "wrong" / "unlearned" without having to totally re-do the whole procedure. How could something so seemingly simple and "quick" degenerate into suck a painful and time-consuming process? Geez o flip...why can't they make it so you can just skip to the next position by quick-pressing the checkmark button or something? GM, are you listening?

Last edited: