Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone removed their entire roof rack on '08 Tahoe yet?? I did mine today and I screwed the nuts back into the nut backs.

However, I'm worried that the nut backs will allow water to seep into the vehicle. It makes sense that there would be a gasket but I cannot tell.

Any thoughts on how to avoid water seepage (outside of putting roof racks back on)??

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but why did you take them off in the first place? Are you waiting for the Caddi rack to come in the mail?

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truthfully, it's a pain in the rear to wash/dry around each week, I won't use it, and I like the smoother look.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kewl, I can see why your doing it. Can you run some water over it to see if it gets in?

It would be better for you to do that then park her outside over night and come out to a swimming pool on your floorboard.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After sundown I went back out and I was able to determine that there are gaskets around the bottom nut back. So, chances are I'm safe where the water is concerned.

However, I would like a more appealing solution...

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a little silicone RTV under the head of the screw which should seal it plus be removable.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used black silicone but I'm not overly thrilled with the way it looks from all of 2 inches away!!

Granted, I'll be the only one that'll get that up close and personal...but rumor has it that there is now medication I can take!! :)

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took my rack off and just filled the holes with rtv and left the bolts out. no leaks at all and looks very good