sensor in the column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone ever changed out the sensor in the sterring wheel column.. mine is going bad i notice when taking turns it seems to over correct it self. it is a common recall just wondering if anyone has changed it out..

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
confused could you explain more ?? are you talking about the steering knuckle?

jrstallion51

Reaction score
I have changed it out. Aside from the awkward position you have to lay in to change it, it is very easy. All I had to do was unbolt one bolt from the steering shaft, push the bottom half down towards the firewall, unplug the connector (if it hasn't been changed before, its wrapped in foam tape) and pull the sensor out.

Just a side note, my connector had a green pin in it that I had to pull out so that the connector would separate. Also, the sensor is housed in a gray plastic housing that has 3 (?) clips holding the sensor in. I just used a small flathead to gently pry the sensor out.

BTW...Advance Auto and O'reillys sell the part for 30-40 bucks. The part number at Advance is 31025 in case your parts guy gives you the "deer in headlights" look. I got mine overnight and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than what the dealer wanted for it

Reassembly is just opposite, make to sure to re-wrap the connector or zip-tie it to something or else it will rattle. All in all, it might take you a half of an hour...hope this helps

Mark 97 Tahoe

Reaction score
That makes my day. I thought I read that you had to pull the steering column. Does this correct the binding in the steering at low rpm's like the power steering isn't kicking in?

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help that is on my list of things to do... however i did order new tires today will try to post some pics up by the end of this week if everything goes ok

jrstallion51

Reaction score
I can't say for sure that it will fix the problem, but anytime I have heard of someone with power steering issues, this is where I start. It is the cheapest and easiest thing to replace, and entirely too common on these years. I don't know what the heck Chevy was thinking when they put this thing on...

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard steeing @ slow speed

Okay, I changed the steering assist sensor. Still have the problem.
When it is cool outside, the power steering seems to work fine, however, when the temperature gets over 30C the power steering seems to get lost below 5kph.
I got this 99 Yukon with 112000 km last winter. Going through the vehicles history, I see where there was a warranty replacement of the power steering pump at 70,000 km. Not sure whether that is connected to this problem or not.
There is no loss of fluid, no strange noises from the pump, hanldes fine over 5 km. Alignment does not appear to be an issue.
Problem makes parking or turns in a tight parking lot a real issue.
Anyone run into this before? Any thoughts?

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any turns below 5kph hour, not necessarily in parking lots. Backing into the driveway, left turns out of a left turn lane, etc.
When you are moving more quickly (above 5 kph) it usually works fine.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did anyone clock the sensor when putting in a new one? I just changed mine and didnt clock it... the sensor was easy to replace.. and the truck drives fine.. but when I took apart the old one, it appears the inner rotating part was supposed to be aligned to something when the steering wheel is straight...

Anyone know about this???

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had three put in my truck over the years, ever done it myself but I hear it is not so bad to do.

owens

Reaction score
I have been trying to change the steering speed sensor for days on my 99 Yukon. I cannot get the steering column to separate! I got the bolt out, but that's as far as I can get. can someone please help?

bowtieman55

Reaction score
I'm having (close to) the same issue right now. My upper and lower shafts WILL (barely) separate, but I cannot push the lower shaft into the firewall any further.