sensor in the column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take the rubber boot loose from the firewall, hard to reseat the boot, but made all the difference in my EVO sensor install...

franklin

Reaction score
Bringing this old thread up again.

I just found out about this EVO system, or the manual calls it variable assist steering. Apparently it's junk, since GM is now offering a kit to bypass it.

I am not sure what all the system has in it, but where the rubber meets the road is the EVO valve on the back of the power steering pump. I always had trouble with my steering since I got my 99 Tahoe, and was getting ready to buy a new steering box. It just so happened the other day I developed a fluid leak on the back of the pump, and it was coming from this strange piece with a wire plugged into it.

Found out this is the EVO (Electronic Variable Orifice) valve is what was leaking, and it's part of a system that gives a lot of trouble. GM makes a kit to get rid of this valve, and just leave the rest of the system in place. I also found out you can take a standard older pump without this valve, unscrew the orifice fitting from the older pump, take the EVO out and install the older orifice fitting. You can then get a hose assembly from a 96 Tahoe that did not have this system, and hook it all back up.

I got a orifice fitting from a pump that came from a 86 ss Monte Carlo, and I also used the pressure line assembly from the ss also. I had to tweak the line a little bit to fit, but the fittings matched up. I can't believe the difference, my Tahoe now drives great, no more twitchy feel and wandering from the steering.

keek007

Reaction score
i just had the gasket replaced in mine and have the steering " let go" in curves as well so iv been reading about this issue myself. glad to know its not going to be the 600.00 quoats iv been seeing online. i can handle that myself. aparently the dealers are instructed to remove the entire colum for this repair. anyone know if it gets worse or is just like it is now till replaced?