Service 4 WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

batfire

Reaction score
Hello Tahoe family,

Please help. I have a 2004 Tahoe, the "Service 4WD" light came on. I checked the oil on the transfer case and it's good. Few months ago, I had the transfer case replaced due to the typical hole caused by the pump. I replaced the 4WD transfer switch and still have the warning light. When I start my truck, all lights on the switch come on and after few seconds after, I have no lights on at all. I know the truck it's on 2 wheel drive.

Thanks,

Jungle Rooster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might not be telling you that your 4WD is faulty, but at certain mileage milestones sometimes service lights come on to remind you to do preventative maintenance. Like a "change oil soon" light, which isn't coming on because you're running low, but because it's been a certain amount of miles since the last service. Not sure, but this is a possibility. You should be able to turn off that reminder, if that's what it is.

batfire

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Jungler! I tried resetting the light, the same way you reset the oil change light, but nothing. I would try pulling the fuse for a minute. I disconnected the ground wires under the driver side on the frame, did not work either. I am tire of shops making me spend money on parts that are not bad!

batfire

Reaction score
I do not know what happened. For the past few weeks, the truck has been working fine. The light went away, and the light on the switch is on 2W. Might be some electrical issue?

fxst

Reaction score
Check the plug on the harness to the encoder motor. Mine was messed up and it costs me 2 encoder motors. My symptoms were similar to yours.

Nearly 99

Reaction score
99 Toahoe 2dr, 193k miles
I had the same problem.
Replaced the switch all was fine for 2 months, same lights came back on and transmission shifted to 3rd too quickly.
Replaced the switch again, all was fine for 2 weeks. Now the same problem is back, all lights come on, tranny shifts too soon into 3rd
Any ideas ?
thnks