Service 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weebetruckin

Reaction score
This last week the message showed up on the dash saying service 4WD. Has anyone encountered this before? Does it mean something is wrong with the 4WD or that it's time to change the fluid? Hate to take it to GM to find out it is something I can do myself. Hope to hear feedback on your experiences with this.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It means there is something wrong with the 4 wheel drive. When the message is on, 4x4 is disabled. Mine did it last week and it turned out to be the switch. I had them go ahead and change the transfer case fluid while it was in there. I don't know how much it was without the warranty, I just paid my $50 decuctable. It just took them a couple hours.

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to my 02. The service code said it was the 4WD switch. I ordered the switch over the net and replaced it. Reset the code and it has never shown up since. The switch was $50 or so. It's an easy fix.

Rons03Hoe

Reaction score
I've been seeing the same message every now and then and it pop up again yesterday. I've read a few post here and other site so I went to the Dealer's Parts Dept and they asked me which switch I need to replaced - the dash or the transfer case, althought the guy said they've never sold any of the transfer case switch yet. He also said he had the same problem with his 04 Tahoe and it turned out to be a software problem and so of course he recommend to have their $$$ervice Dept to take a look first.

Rons03Hoe

Reaction score
Hey GTO2050
Got the link on where you got your replacement switch?
Regards
ron

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did it too but It did it when I was doing some wiring behind the dash. just take out the switch make sure the connectors and wires are properly fastened and youll be ok. mine hasnt given me any problems after that

Rons03Hoe

Reaction score
Hello Gordo, Can you please tell me which switch did you pull out and where? Thanks in advance, also thanks for the link GTO2050.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The switch was on the dash underneath the stereo to the left of the ac control module and its the same switch/button that disables the stability control. Im not sure if its the same on yours mine is an 03 denali. I know some have it next to the lights switch on the dash.