Shining up the ride.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dudes, a random orbit buffer is the only way to go. I bought this ‘Ho in December, it’s a 2K. From a distance the paint looks fine, the reds still bright, but when you get up close there are a lot of swirls and fine scratch marks. It looks like someone use a broom to brush the snow off the hood. It also has a few more major scratches. My buffer isn’t a commercial grade, it’s just a $50 Craftsman I got at Sears but it does the job. First I washed with Joy, then clay barred. Next I used Meguiar’s Dual Action Cleaner/Polish #83. Using the buffer I did the hood three times. Then I used the Meguiar’s Deep Crystal System Step 2, Polish twice. I followed that with the NXT wax. Look at the pics and pay attention to the swirls, halo’s, spider webs, and just basic haze that is on the one side compared to the finished side. Granted, there are a few scratches that prolly won’t come out without a professional having at it, but I’m very pleased with the results. I’m thinking some #7 Show Car Glaze might give it an even wetter shine. I can't figure out how to label the pics but the third one is the unfinished side, the fourth is the finished side.

Attachments

• full hood side by side.jpg
    full hood side by side.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 18
  • side by side 2.jpg
    side by side 2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 19
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 19
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 23

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job, you can def. tell the difference

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I got a foam gun to help out with washing and haven't got to use it yet. I need one more pass with my buffer to get a lil fine scratches but I'm not tripping.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a huge difference there. You really did do a good job. Nothing better than a clean red.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Two days ago I polished all the chrome and Armour All'd all the black trim. Yesterday I take it to work and look out the window and the groundskeeper is blowing all the grass from mowing and the pollen and cotton from the cottonwood trees off the sidewalk, and right at the 'Ho. As I watch, he finishes, looks at the 'Ho, then walks over to it and blows all the dust and crap off of it. I mean it was still covered with the fine sh** but at least he tried. I gave him a Coke for his efforts.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good...I'm guessing the the last pic is the after shot?

saw a M3 that was parked, and a lawnmower passes next to it, "BANG" rock comes flying from underneath the lawnmower smacks the drivers side door, quarter size dent and nickel size scratch...

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good...I'm guessing the the last pic is the after shot?

saw a M3 that was parked, and a lawnmower passes next to it, "BANG" rock comes flying from underneath the lawnmower smacks the drivers side door, quarter size dent and nickel size scratch...

Thanks. Yeah, the last pic is the right side, the pic before it the left side. I didn't describe the pics very well. The whole hood shots are with the right side after and the left side before. Notice about 99% fo the halo's are gone.

Dang, that would suck. I'll bet the mower guy never even stopped.