Shocks recommendation for 98 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998 NY

Reaction score
Replacing the shock absorbers. Any recommendations for a stock '98 LT? (179k miles, cared for.)

Thx in advance.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont go low end, but I put Air Shocks on the back of mine and I could level my load/ assist weak rear springs.....

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been quite happy with the yellow Bilstiens I put on the truck some years ago, no problems with them period. I believe they were the 4300 series?
Mark

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard-read no to KYB, Rancho Shocks I've had on some past Pickups, like the Rancho 9000 I believe, and these were some real stiff hard riding shocks, will rattle your teeth out.

And as for the Edelbrock IAS, I understand that shock is no more.

Cheaper option and probably not bad at all either, would be a good set of the TOTL Monroe Gas Shocks.

DaveL

Reaction score
I replaced the gas shocks that came on my 2000 Limited with some Monroe gas shocks a few years ago and they give a great ride...still

I sort of wish I had done like LesterL and went with the air on back...I get a little swishy in the rear when towing...

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's something I did also on mine, a pair of Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags in the rear 10 full years ago on my '97, and they were a wise buy.

When I moved here to NM, I easily had 700 lbs of weight in the back, plus 300 lbs of tongue weight from the Cargo Trailer in tow, and never knew it.

Two hours to install, and ten years later they're still holding up well. Of course every so often I get underneath, treat the bags, and lines with a good protectant (no not Armor All junk)

For no loads, I simply keep about 35 PSI in them, they give better stability-handling, and as well the truck has a better stance to boot. No regrets.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine off amazon for $60 for the pair.....