Slipping OD on transmission- advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dh04yuk

Reaction score
Ok this has been an outstanding forum community and I have solved a few really challenging concerns with my Yukon and appreciate in advance your help!

Yesterday on the freeway I noticed some slight tugging on my transmission at 65 MPH after an hour long drive. Then when going over a grade it actually began to slip so I slowed down and dropped it in to 3 and nursed it home.

I have noticed on a couple of rare occasions over the last 9 years of ownership that the trans would seem to slip in out of 3rd and OD. I thought it was simply an adjustment issue as manually dropping it in/out of OD seemed to always solve it (not this time!). I reported it to my dealership at 16Kmi and 26kMi while still in new powertrain warranty and then also out of warranty and they never could repeat the issue. As preventative maintenance, I did a trans fluid service at my dealership around 65K mi. I just turned 100k and at my last oil change at my local indy shop said the tranny was low low and added 1 qt ATF but I have not noticed any leaks.

I have read many forums and realize I have been lucky to hit 100K miles without a major trans issue but here we are. It's a GMC Yukon SLT 5.3l with All Wheel Drive (not a Denali) and the optional trans cooler. Do I have the pan and filter changed and hope for the best? Is a full fluid flush a bad idea as some have indicated? The fluid looks dark and smells burned. What now? We plan to keep the truck for several more years and want to make a smart decision. I prefer to avoid GM dealership. Thanks for your advice!

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
i think if the fluids burnt your not supposed to flush it if i remember correctly only flush autotrans when the fluids pink so you were low on auto trans fluid correct?

its possible you have a leaky seal but its the one between the transmission and the torque inverter i forget the proper name and all yer fluids leaking into that bellhousing were hte torque inverter since a automatic trans is basically hydraulic low fluid will caus it to slip and if its slipping its really low its way different then a manual were gears are submerged in fluid

dh04yuk

Reaction score
update: a trans shop said no codes, fluid was actually very nclean but .75 qts low.

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
if you dont see any external tranny fluid wich is easy to find because youve obviously seen its red or pinkish the front pump seal the one that could have a leak
wich is kinda gay because the tranny has to be pulled