So, this is the intake manifold leak, huh?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yeah, I think its finally time to handle this slow, unfindable leak thing.

What do you guys suppost I can expect for parts and labor on somthing of this nature? is it just a gasket? or do I get to replace the intake manifold? I think that I have the plastic stock one, and I think I remember seeing them for $80ish dollars or so.
Should I upgrade to the metal version? its more expensive that Ive found..300 or so, if I remember right.
Anyway, this is the zone thats leaking, and I have to fill the coolant overflow like, every month now. I mean, the radiator is full, but the resevoir needs filling each month.
Please tell me what you can, and Ill read around more to find details about this problem we all seem to get.

I dont want to attempt this repair myself, it looks just too complex for me.

Thanks,
Pete

Attachments

• leak.JPG
    leak.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 158

sweetjeeps

Reaction score
yeah man... looks like a leaker. It might be expensive. And you might not really need the metal gasket. the feelpro paper/silicone gasket has never done me wrong, and they are a lot cheaper. whatever you do take it somewhere reputable over price. The last thing you need is someone screwing up the job or trying to rip you off because they have no work and really need the money. all i'm saying is shop around... you have a little time.:Chevy:

NoEcm

Reaction score
Answers below in red

So yeah, I think its finally time to handle this slow, unfindable leak thing.

What do you guys suppost I can expect for parts and labor on somthing of this nature?

$500 - $1000

is it just a gasket? or do I get to replace the intake manifold?

More than likely it's just the lower intake manifold gasket

I think that I have the plastic stock one, and I think I remember seeing them for $80ish dollars or so. Should I upgrade to the metal version? its more expensive that Ive found..300or so, if I remember right.

The lower intake manifold is made of aluminum. The upper intake manifold is plastic

Anyway, this is the zone thats leaking, and I have to fill the coolant overflow like, every month now. I mean, the radiator is full, but the resevoir needs filling each month.

Check your oil to make sure coolant isn't leaking into the crankcase at the same time. You can also take a clean paper towel and wipe the inside of the oil filler cap. There should be no signs of rust inside this plastic cap. If you are refilling the coolant overflow every month, you have a pretty sizeable leak.

Please tell me what you can, and Ill read around more to find details about this problem we all seem to get.

http://www.market-place.com/intake/intake.htm

I dont want to attempt this repair myself, it looks just too complex for me.

See the above link

Thanks,
Pete

Other Suggestions:

At the same time, replace the pot metal heater hose quick disconnect with a steel one. You don't want this to haunt you later. This part costs less than $10.

Depending on the mileage on your vehicle, a water pump replacement should be considered also. Everthing is already apart so the additional labor costs would be minimal.

The lower radiator hose is very accessible at this point. Again, depending on the mileage on your vehicle this might be considered for replacement also. Again, everthing is already apart so the additional labor costs would be minimal.

Good Luck!!!

sweetjeeps

Reaction score
the labor is probably about $800ish... The part is about $80. The whole top of the motor needs to be taken apart. Its really not too bad of a job if you have a general idea of what your doing.

sweetjeeps

Reaction score
if your trying to save some cash the water pump and hoses can be very easily changed at any time, it is a chevy, it cant get much easier.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the labor is probably about $800ish... The part is about $80. The whole top of the motor needs to be taken apart. Its really not too bad of a job if you have a general idea of what your doing.

Actually, the whole top of the motor does not need to be taken apart. This would imply that you would need to remove the heads, as they are part of the top of the motor. It is not necessary to remove the heads in order to remove the intake manifold. But you do need to remove pretty much everything that is above the intake mani. This includes the distributor.

Harry Pluta

Reaction score
"At the same time, replace the pot metal heater hose quick disconnect with a steel one. You don't want this to haunt you later. This part costs less than $10."

After almost 150k miles and the 8+ years I've had my Tahoe, the only time it has ever stranded me was after this stupid $10.00 part blew apart on the expressway. PLEASE do yourself a favor and change it while you have the truck apart.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i replaced it last night with Jiminey, my mechanic.

After the first 45 minutes we were ready to actually unbolt the manifold. All the crap that is in the way isnt that bad, so if you want to try this repair yourself, get the directions and do it step by step. Its not bad.

Jiminey charged me $200 and I gave him my old chrome-flaking wheels w/ bald-ass Nittos, and of course, a few gallons of beer.

Make sure you get the disconnect heater hose thing and also clean all gasket surfaces.

Then ONLY gasket set to use for this repair is the Felpro 98000T metal gasket set. Other, crappier gaskets were available, but i just spent the 58$ for the felpro.
\\anyway
the hose disconnect was 800-401 from the "Help" rack at the store.

heres some boring shots of us working on it for your enjoyment.

LMK if you have any questions about it.

Attachments

• P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 91
  • P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 85
  • P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 78

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couple more. AND WHY IS IT SNOWING ON APRIL 12TH?@?@?!?@

Attachments

• P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 49

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
midas did mine for $300 labor $62 parts and a nugget of dank

my receipt says $500 something, in the event i need their warranty ;)

GreenYukon

Reaction score
I have done quite a few Intakes over the years(only 1 vortec,Crate swap) I have found that taking them to a shop to be cleaned and surfaced is the only way to go. Cost a few bucks,but knowing all my surfaces are true in a great piece of mind when your done with the job and having a beer looking at your work! Just my 2 pennys

NoEcm

Reaction score
C&P that may apply to LIM gasket replacement

Here is a bulletin released by General Motors regarding the use of Roloc discs by 3M. The woven ones contain large amounts of aluminum oxide which is the abrasive part of the disc.

#87-61-24: INFO. USE OF 'SURFACE CONDITIONING DISCS' - (Apr 2, 1998)

SUBJECT: INFORMATION - USE OF "SURFACE CONDITIONING DISCS"

MODELS: 1998 AND PRIOR PASSENGER CARS AND TRUCKS

THE USE OF "SURFACE CONDITIONING DISCS" -
WHEN CLEANING ENGINE GASKET SEALING SURFACES, AND/OR CLEANING PARTS FROM AN ENGINE WHICH ARE TO BE REUSED; SURFACE CONDITIONING DISCS (TYPICALLY A WOVEN FIBER PAD DESIGN) WHICH CONTAIN ABRASIVES, SUCH AS A HIGH AMOUNT OF ALUMINUM OXIDE, ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.
THE USE OF SUCH SURFACE CONDITIONING DISCS DISLODGE ALUMINUM OXIDE (FROM THE DISC) AND METAL PARTICLES, WHICH CAN LEAD TO PREMATURE ENGINE BEARING FAILURE.
THE PRESENCE OF ALUMINUM OXIDE IN ENGINE OIL HAS BEEN SHOWN TO CAUSE PREMATURE ENGINE BEARING FAILURE. IN SOME CASES THIS FAILURE OCCURS IN AS LITTLE AS 1,000 MILES (2,200 KM) OR LESS AFTER THE REPAIR HAS BEEN MADE.
SURFACE CONDITIONING DISCS MAY GRIND THE COMPONENT PART MATERIAL AND IMBED IT INTO THE DISC. THIS CAN RESULT WHEN MORE AGGRESSIVE GRINDING OF THE GASKET SURFACE TAKES PLACE. PROCEDURE: A NEW PRODUCT FROM 3M(R) AUTOMOTIVE AFTERMARKET DIVISION, THE ROLOC BRISTLE DISC*, IS NOW AVAILABLE WHICH ADDRESSES SOME OF THE ABOVE CONCERNS.
* WE BELIEVE THIS PRODUCT TO BE RELIABLE. THERE MAY BE ADDITIONAL MANUFACTURERS OF SUCH PRODUCTS. GENERAL MOTORS DOES NOT ENDORSE, INDICATE ANY PREFERENCE FOR OR ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY ITEMS WHICH MAY BE AVAILABLE FROM THIS FIRM, OR FOR ANY SUCH ITEMS WHICH MAY BE AVAILABLE FROM OTHER SOURCES.
CAUTION:

TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY FOLLOW STANDARD SAFETY PRECAUTIONS, INCLUDING THE USE OF SAFETY GLASSES, SHOULD BE OBSERVED DURING SURFACE PREPARATION.
READ THE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED WITH THE PRODUCT BEFORE USE.
REMOVE BY HAND, WITH A SCRAPPER (PLASTIC SCRAPPER ON ALUMINUM SURFACES), THE BULK OF MATERIAL ON THE COMPONENT SURFACE BEFORE USING THE 3M(R) ROLOC BRISTLE DISC.
NOTICE: DUE CARE MUST BE TAKEN TO AVOID THE ENTRY OF ANY MATERIAL INTO THE ENGINE BLOCK OIL AND COOLANT PASSAGES WHEN CLEANING COMPONENT SURFACES.

THE PRESENCE OF FOREIGN MATERIAL IN ENGINE OIL HAS BEEN SHOWN TO CAUSE PREMATURE ENGINE BEARING FAILURE.
COVER OR BLOCK ALL ENGINE PORTS (ENGINE OIL AND COOLANT) AND OPEN AREAS (CYLINDER BORES, LIFTER VALLEY, ETC.) TO PREVENT POSSIBLE CONTAMINATION WHEN WORKING ON THE ENGINE.
VACUUM UP ALL CONTAMINANTS (I.E. DIRT, GASKET MATERIAL, ETC.).
IMPORTANT: ENGINE COMPONENTS, CLEANED WITH 3M ROLOC BRISTLE DISC, SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY CLEANED BEFORE RE-INSTALLING THEM ON THE ENGINE BLOCK.

THE USE OF A VACUUM, SPRAY CLEANER GM P/N 12346139 OR 12377981, PARTS CLEANER, ETC. TO REMOVE ALL TRACES OF CONTAMINANT IS SUGGESTED.
THE DISCS (SEE FIGURE 1--3M(R) ROLOC DISC IDENTIFICATION) ARE AVAILABLE IN DIFFERENT GRIT LEVELS, WITH SUGGESTED APPLICATIONS AS FOLLOWS:
3M(R) PART COLOR/ SUGGESTED NUMBER** DESCRIPTION*** APPLICATION QUAN. --------- ------------- ------------ ----- WHITE 120X GRIT ALUMINUM BOX OF ROLOC BRISTLE DISC (MILD 10 07532 1" DIAMETER ABRASIVE) 07528 2" DIAMETER 07529 3" DIAMETER
YELLOW 80X GRIT ALUMINUM OR BOX OF ROLOC BRISTLE DISC CAST IRON/ 10 07531 1" DIAMETER STEEL 07525 2" DIAMETER (MEDIUM 07527 3" DIAMETER ABRASIVE)
GREEN 50X GRIT CAST IRON/ BOX OF ROLOC BRISTLE DISC STEEL (HARSH 10 07530 1" DIAMETER ABRASIVE) 07524 2" DIAMETER 07526 3" DIAMETER
*** THE ABOVE 3M(R) ROLOC BRISTLE DISCS ARE TO BE USED WITH THE CORRECT DISC PAD ASSEMBLIES LISTED BELOW.
CAUTION:

NON-3M(R) BACK-UP PAD'S MAY HAVE A DEEPER THREADED CAVITY WHICH CAUSES THE BUTTON (ON THE DISC) TO CONTINUE TO TIGHTEN DOWN DURING USE. THIS CAN CAUSE THE BUTTON TO SEPARATE FROM THE DISC RESULTING IN DISC FLY OFF AND POTENTIAL OPERATOR HARM.
3M(R) PART NUMBER** DESCRIPTION QUAN. --------- ------------------------- ------ 05538 1" ROLOC DISC PAD ASSEMBLY BOX OF 05539 2" ROLOC DISC PAD ASSEMBLY ONE (1) 05540 3" ROLOC DISC PAD ASSEMBLY
NOTICE: WHEN USING ANY ABRASIVE MATERIAL, PARTICULARLY ON ALUMINUM SURFACES, CARE MUST BE TAKEN TO AVOID DAMAGE TO THE SURFACE AREA. EXCESSIVE MATERIAL REMOVAL MAY RESULT IN DAMAGE TO SEALING SURFACES.

** THESE COMPONENTS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM LOCAL 3M(R) SUPPLIERS. THE BRAND NAMES "3M" AND "ROLOC" ARE TRADEMARKS OF MINNESOTA MINING AND MANUFACTURING COMPANY, ST. PAUL, MINNESOTA 55144.
PARTS INFORMATION:

PART NUMBERS DESCRIPTION ------------ ----------- 12346139, 12377981 SPRAY CLEANER
PARTS (SPRAY CLEANERS ONLY) ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GMSPO.
FIGURES: 01 ATTACHMENTS: 00
FIGURE 1 - 3M(R) ROLOC BRISTLE DISC IDENTIFICATION 1 - SHAFT (TYPICAL) 2 - BACK-UP PAD 3 - ROLOC BRISTLE DISC
Figure 1
GENERAL MOTORS BULLETINS ARE INTENDED FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIANS, NOT A "DO-IT-YOURSELFER". THEY ARE WRITTEN TO INFORM THOSE TECHNICIANS OF CONDITIONS THAT MAY OCCUR ON SOME VEHICLES, OR TO PROVIDE INFORMATION THAT COULD ASSIST IN THE PROPER SERVICE OF A VEHICLE. PROPERLY TRAINED TECHNICIANS HAVE THE EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND KNOW-HOW TO DO A JOB PROPERLY AND SAFELY. IF A CONDITION IS DESCRIBED, DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE BULLETIN APPLIES TO YOUR VEHICLE, OR THAT YOUR VEHICLE WILL HAVE THAT CONDITION. SEE A GENERAL MOTORS DEALER SERVICING YOUR BRAND OF GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLE FOR INFORMATION ON WHETHER YOUR VEHICLE MAY BENEFIT FROM THE INFORMATION.
COPYRIGHT 1998. GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn, dude.
Now Im going home to do an oil change and flush/refill the coolant just to be safe.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how this guy who did the job is a true mechanic, seems odd that he didn't cover the intake ports on the cylinder heads while he was GRINDING METAL RIGHT NEXT TO THEM. Risky stuff. Just one little piece of crap gets into your combustion chamber and bye-bye engine. Always cover open passages that lead to the internal engine, most especially when doing work that results in flying debris. Good that you fixed it though, for relatively cheap.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, then Jiminey is fired. :)

I hope nothing bad happens. I'd hate to have saved some cash, only later to find out my engine is poo-poo'd.

yeah, why the heck didnthe cover that sh|t up.
Dammit I gotta ask him about his warranty. lol.