Speaker replacement 2007

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bladenbullet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the new to me 07 Tahoe was demonstrating the well known speaker problem...dropping speakers on and off with increasing regularity especially when damp/rainy out...

i ordered a set of Infinity Reference 6032cf 6 1/2" replacements ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BZFSYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and installed them using the housings from the original speakers with some quick modifications...the install went very smooth and fast with no issues at all...

the left rear speaker surround was completely deteriorated and i found signs of light corrosion on the wiring connectors and just up inside the insulation...the new connectors have been shrink wrapped with marine shrink and packed with dielectric grease on install...

these speakers are sleepers!...i was happy to find they had been discontinued and the price dropped considerably but never expected the quality of sound from a stock 6 disc system....

the bass is tight and strong (one of my students thought i installed a sub) and the clarity is incredible...the sound is a little bright and takes a bit of adjustment to correct...the speakers are a great match for the system and a fantastic value....

they are rated at 93db making them quite efficient...they are a 2 ohm speaker designed to work with stock systems as a good replacement...

it isnt going to turn your system into an audiophiles dream but the sound quality is surprising for the price....

for replacement using the original speaker housings here is a youtube video that does a good job showing it....i dont use the cutter to remove the lip....a pair of pliers does it quicker with less mess and makes a neat cut....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ywStrT-z6Q

if youre looking for a good speaker value i think you might be pleased with these while they last...

edited to add... apparently they are still available from infinity...I assumed they were discontinued because many retailers were showing them as no longer available...more than likely because of the popularity of the kappas at a price point originally just above the reference speakers....at this price these are tough to beat...

Last edited: