Stabilitrak and has smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeremyJCollins

Reaction score
My 2008 Chevy Tahoe has this recurring issue where, in stop and go traffic, it shakes as if it wants to stall out. The stabilitrak service light will come on doesn’t go off until I significantly increase speed/accelerate. I can sometimes smell fuel inside the vehicle during these times. I do not have this issue when on the interstate, traveling at a high rate of speed for long distances.

Anyone experienced this?

Horse

Reaction score
I’ve encountered this several times the last several years in my 07 LTZ. Similar to yours, it typically occurs when I’m slowing down at an intersection or coming to a stop. The truck will first throw a “Service Stabilitrak†warning, then when I accelerate out of the stop or intersection will shift out of the first gear with a an aggressive thunk. Once the shift occurs the warning goes away... until the next intersection or slowing.

Each time this has started happening I’ve checked the codes and gotten a “Fuel mixture too rich†warning. For me, I believe this is happening because I live on the US/Canada border and always go down to WA to get gas. But I tend to run the tank very low in between, causing the fuel/air calculation to get all messed up. Each time Ive had to go to the dealership and get them to reset it for a hundred bucks.

The big thing they always tell me is to ensure: A. Don’t run the tank into the empty light if avoidable, and B. Make sure you drive at least 11-12 miles straight after fueling to allow the computer to make new fuel/air calculations.

That’s my layman’s knowledge of what sounds like a similar problem. Hopefully it sheds some light on your problem. Good luck.