Starter drawing more current than usual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buntnik

Reaction score
ran battery down. Tried use my portable jump device and it would not turn the engine. Almost, but not able to get it thru compression. It always has. It turned the engine on my Pathfinder, but would not turn Hoe. How do I determine if the apparent additional resistance is a corroded starter cable connection, or the starter itself? How bout clean the battery connections, then clean the connection to starter. Starter connection easily reached without jacking the vehicle up?

Healthy Optima battery in the car starts it fine, but I sometimes feel when something acts differently than normal, then may be a lurking problem trying to tell you something. What do you think?

clkelley

Reaction score
Yes, clean all your terminals to ensure proper current, then have the alternator tested as well. If the alternator is getting weak then you are using power from your battery more than you should to power the electrical systems in the truck, this will weaken the battery over time.

anglarry05

Reaction score
what year? my 08 is easy to reach just crawling under. I had to replace a wholel cable from terminal to starter. Corroded at terminal. Just check the whole cable. Keep in mind its in two pieces if its an 08. You can also pull starter and have autozone/advance/oreilly test it