Starter Issue ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okeespec

Reaction score
I came out from dinner tonight and my poor ol' Tahoe didn't start. It's a 98. so I turn the key and I get a click sound. It is just a quick click. no matter how many times I turn the key I get one click per turn.

My starter hasn't been giving me any trouble at all. All the lights are real strong in the car so I don't think it is my battery.

Does anyone think I just need to replace my starter? If so, is this a difficult job? Where is it located and what is the best way to skin the cat?

Thank you to anyone who replies and gives me some advice.

Siciliana

Reaction score
That could potentially be the alternator or spark plugs. When was the last time the spark plugs were replaced?

Edit: I have a 99 tahoe, the starter on her is up underneath. As you are looking at the bottom of the car it's on the right side. It's not that difficult to replace. Remove acouple bolts and Disconnect the wiring and you're good to put the new one in. But if you haven't been having troubles with the starter I'd say make sure it isn't anything else like alternator, spark plugs, injectors or fuel system.

Last edited:

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a hard concept to put a new one in at any means. get a jack and 2 jack stands in the front and youll be alright., Sounds like it could be the starter, but before u replace it, try hitting it with maybe a metal bar, hammer, or something (not like a sledge to it, but give it a couple knocks to break free if thats the case) idk man see if it does anything.. could be froze or something..

And for Sicilian- what would making a click have anything to do with the alternator?? jw. the alternator should have nothing to do if it was to start up and him saying the lights are bright and everything shows no indication that the things not charging the battery.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok even if it were plugs the motor would still turn.... so its not plugs - and its kinda odd the starter isn't spinning and just not kicking out... - you may want to tap it with a hammer than try to crank it - also hook some jumpers up to the batt to make sure it isn't the batt

okeespec

Reaction score
And the winner is . . .

Well I got my solution today. I had a tow truck show up and I showed him what it was doing. He told me to pop the hood, he checked the terminals to the battery and said they were loose. He tightened them, put a jump box on the battery and BAM it cranked right up! I am a total idiot but less of one now since I know what to check in the future. I took my car to Auto Zone and they said my battery was great. The terminals need to be replaced, tightened and that's it.

I really appreciate everyone who replied with ideas. I wish I could have tried the terminals and jump the battery from the begining. Live and learn.