Starting car with left turn signal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is just me, but it seems like when I go to start car, I am having to use the 'left turn signal' method more and more...anyone else notice this. Anyway to turn this feature off....i.e. always crank engine by turning key?

porkanbeans

Reaction score
my truck does this too. when i bought it, the dealer explained that it was a "safety feature". what i've noticed, and have been meaning to research, is a series of beeps the truck makes. it beeps when i unlock and lock it, and then beeps about 30 seconds after i unlock it. after it beeps then, i have to depress the left turn signal before it will start. it also beeps at random while i'm driving. it's really odd. i've been too lazy to find something about this in the manual, but it seems like it isnt normal.

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you are saying if you press on the signal it starts the truck?:confused::eek::confused:

porkanbeans

Reaction score
no, it has to be depressed while you turn the key. im used to it, but it's a pain when a valet or anyone else can't figure out how to start it :rolleyes2:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, what year is this on? Is this some optional feature you can turn on? Sounds like a bug to me.

porkanbeans

Reaction score
mine is an '08, not sure about the OP, but i'd assume an nnbs as well.

convoyduel

Reaction score
I suppose if that doesn't work, flash your lights 3 times, move the driver's seat forward or backward 2.5", turn the right rear dome light on and off 13 times in 10 seconds or less and deflate the left rear tire by exactly 3psi.

Are you guys yanking our chain in this? This seems really assinine to me, like you're watching for a steal sign from third.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this either. I don't have to do anything odd like that to start mine up.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what if you didnt get the left turn signal option on your truck?

then your screwed! hah

sounds weird to me!

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting...I thought everyone knew about this. Yes, we are serious. I checked it out tonight and it seems to be working as how the dealer that sold me the car explained it to me....if I unlock the vehicle and wait a while (about 30 seconds) and then insert key and try to start the car by turning the key, nothing will happen. At this point, if I want to start the car, I leave the key in the run position and turn on the left turn signal...the car starts perfectly. I don't have any type of beeping or anything while I am driving. The only beep I get is after I lock the car with the remote (and then hit lock again to get horn to honk to make sure it is locked) the car will beep once (maybe twice) after about 30 seconds. I suggest everyone try the 'left turn signal start'. Unlock your car, get in and just sit there for a minute. Then try to start and see if it will start. Maybe some have this and some don't...mine is an LTZ '07. If I get in and put key in and start, the car starts as normal.

BTW, ignorance truly is bliss...proven by responses above.

Last edited:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: Just tested this out on my '07 LTZ and I guess I didn't get the left turn signal option.

MCF34, since you seem to be the only one w/ this option, check your glovebox and tell us what the RPO is. ;)

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until someone else shows up w/ this option, I'm going to remain ignorant in my bliss.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to also be on 'porkanbeans' tahoe. I can't believe it is a 'fluke'....if it is not intended to work this way...HOW could the turn signal possibly be tied into the starter?? I would not say it's an option, but perhaps tied into something with the GM security system. I specifically recall the dealer showing me how this worked when I bough the Tahoe. Now, if I don't want to use the left turn signal option, I can simply push the unlock botton on the remote again and start normally...

Yep...just checked it again. Unlock with remote, get in car, turn key and it starts. If I unlock door with remote, get in car and sit there for 30 seconds to 1 minute and try to start with key, nothing. At this point I have two choices - 1) Turn on left turn signal and car starts 2) take out key, hit unlock button on remote, put key back in and car starts. Seems like a nice added security feature to me...sorry to the rest of you....hahaha!!!

Last edited: