Starting car with left turn signal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so wait. your saying you cant start your truck if you wait 30 seconds after unlocking it???? What does this have to do with the turn signals???????

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK..not to be rude...

so wait. your saying you cant start your truck if you wait 30 seconds after unlocking it???? What does this have to do with the turn signals???????

But have you even attempted to comprehend my posts in this thread..have you read them and REALLY REALLY tried hard to understand them? I can't make it any clearer.

The only scenario I could see this 'feature' as being an added benefit would be if you were out somewhere like a Home Depot and unlocked your car to load up your stuff in your back and somebody taking your keys away from you in an attempt to steal your Tahoe...they get in, go to start car...and NOTHING. Obviously they would never think about tapping left turn signal or taking out keys and hit the unlock button since they are already in car...I know I know, 1 in a million chance of this happening, but it is the only scenario I could see this 'feature' being any benefit.....it MUST have something to do with the alarm system and some type of timed kill switch.

Last edited:

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
APOLOGIES..

I have edited to completely remove the COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE COMMENT and my sincere apologies....I just lost my patience with the same question being asked OVER and OVER and OVER again...sorry!!!

Last edited:

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again..apologies...

I really appreciate the prompt reply.

Sometimes my filter doesn't work. I checked manual and could not find anything about 'this feature'....but I also can't believe that the couple times it has been at the dealer that they haven't unlocked, got in car and tried to start and it not start. They have never called me and said, "hey, your car won't start, what's up?". They always seem to get the car started so they must know something.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha ha , nothing. I waited got nothing. I think yours is ****ed up. Or the dealer did something to it special. I mean tell me if I did it right.

here is a vid. excuse my heavy breathing. Im moving furniture in the middle of all this. i was quite happy to just sit for a min. lol

EDIT- WTF MY ENTIRE VID DID NOT DOWNLOAD. IS there a photobucket limit or somthing???

convoyduel

Reaction score
I'm going to have to maybe go the other way on this now that I've tried it and think about it.

I can't get the thing to do what we're talking about, but I do recall a couple of times where I had the Tahoe out in the driveway (vacuuming, washing etc.) and had the horn make several short beeps and go into an alarm mode that was only killed by putting the key in the ignition or locking and unlocking with the RKE. Not sure if this is related or not.

The way these are set-up, everything electrical is tied into the LAN wire so depressing the left turn signal would be a way to fulfill a logic circuit input to the computer.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Approximately when was your Tahoe assembled? Have you ever had a reflash done to the Body Control Module (BCM)? Mine was assembled in late January of 2007, and has never exhibited that behavior. I've had it reflashed twice since owning it. Once was for the battery rundown problem (#07033), and the other was just a few weeks ago for random washer operation. What I'm getting at is this appears to me to be an aberration from normal operation that as the guy above suggested could be related to the GMLAN.

There's a saying in my business "If you can't fix it, feature it!" and perhaps that's what the dealer is doing. I'd request a reflash of the BCM with the latest release of firmware......uhh....unless you like this feature. :)

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think if it was really a feature it would be in the manual. Since you can not find it and others have tried to reproduce the condition...

convoyduel

Reaction score
For what its worth, GM calls the turn signal assembly a Turn Signal/Malfunction Switch. The TSM switch does not show up anywhere in the security wiring circuit.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it and it doesn't bother me...if I ever, uh, I mean WHEN I have to take the Tahoe in for some other service, I will mention this to them. It will be in the shop again eventually because domestic cars and junk and service is horrible. I wish I would have got an X5...took my wife's BMW with 70,000 miles on it...everything fixed and car washed and vacuumed. Again, I always wonder why US auto industry is failing..oh wait, poor quality and poorer service.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this sounds veeery much like a friend's aftermarket security system she has. I dont think this is a factory thing, but I do know some pretty warped methods that are used to start cars with aftermarket systems.

porkanbeans

Reaction score
glad there are some other folks who experience this. i personally don't mind it, i've just always been curious as to the intended purpose for gm doing it. weird that is seems not everyone has it though

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it and it doesn't bother me...if I ever, uh, I mean WHEN I have to take the Tahoe in for some other service, I will mention this to them. It will be in the shop again eventually because domestic cars and junk and service is horrible. I wish I would have got an X5...took my wife's BMW with 70,000 miles on it...everything fixed and car washed and vacuumed. Again, I always wonder why US auto industry is failing..oh wait, poor quality and poorer service.
Did you buy your truck used or new?

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought it..

Did you buy your truck used or new?

Brand new...had about 110 miles on it when I bought it. It really doesn't bother me. Oh well, I think this thread can be closed.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are describing an aftermarket kill switch (alarm system). After hitting the unlock button on the remote and turning the alarm system off you can start the truck normally, but the reason why you cannot start the truck after sitting in it for 30 seconds is because the alarm system resets itself and activates the kill switch.

There are many ways to wire the truck with a kill switch, some by pushing in the cigarette lighter some by turning a switch on and in your case, turning the turn signal on. I personally would have wired it to the heated washer fluid switch.

I'm curios to know if the kill switch is a OEM product, aftermarket like a CrimeStoppers or Clifford and if its operated from the OEM remote or an aftermarket one.

To show it is a kill switch do this:

Put driver window down

Get out of truck

Press the "lock" button on the keypad

Wait 1 minute

Without touching the unlock button on the keypad reach threw the window, put key in the ignition and try to start the truck

The truck shouldn't start and the alarm should sound.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put my left signal on and started my truck... THEN ALL THE AIR BLEW OUT OF MY TIRES!!!

:(