stearing making a 'CLUNKING" sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxmike25

Reaction score
when I turn it to the stops in either direction. It mostly happens when I'm backing out of the driveway while turning.

Thoughts and ideas please...

Thanks.

mxmike25

Reaction score
Nope, that's not it. I replaced the intermediate steering shaft a year or so ago. That "clunking" was much different. Thanks for the thought, but this is more tie rod, bushing type of thing. I posted this because I wondered if this was a common problem and you guys knew right away.

Any advise once I get it up on jack stands and the wheels off?

2005 Tahoe
127,xxxx miles

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tie rods would result in uneven tread wear...Bushings can be visually inspected for wear and tear or cracks but not sure if they would clunk when turning.

clkelley

Reaction score
Once you have the tires off the ground, take a long "tank bar" and place it under the lower control arm like a lever and pry up on the bottom of the control arm to check the lower ball joints, this will show you if there is any play in them and if there is that would be your issue.

mxmike25

Reaction score
Makes sense that its the ball joints. On a scale 1 - 10, how difficult to replace myself? I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty good with tools. I did control arms and bushings on my BMW. But if I need to rent a press and buy a pickle fork and a grinder for one job, then I'll look for a good mechanic here in Tustin.

Spartus

Reaction score
I thought my steering shaft was bad too. clunkidy clunk clunk. Even though I was not getting any un-even tire wear it turned out to be both the inner tie rods were shot. I was able to get about 1/8" movement in each one. Installed MOOG problem solvers and walla. Tight as a whistle now and no clunk clunk..