steering vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fowlbusiness

Reaction score
this all started about two weeks ago. i will just be driving down the highway and i get a bad jerking vibration in my steering wheel and the whole vehicle shakes. it doesnt do it all the time tho. most days i can drive for however long and it doesnt do it but just yesterday it was the worst it has ever been. today i drove it and it didnt do it at all. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alignment. Possibly, tighten the bars underneath the truck. You can't tighten the pitman arm, but there are two bars to tighten underneath the truck, that help stablize control and steering.

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad CV's ,, if the boot around it is split and a small stone or some sand gets in there you will swear the steering wheel is getting ripped out of your hands.

fowlbusiness

Reaction score
if the cv's aren't to messed up can they be cleaned and put back in or anything like that? or if im having this problem are they going to be messed up?

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on them is the question??? If they're recent and you put them in then most likely you can save them. If they're originals' change them!! Think of what it must look like on the outside at the tire when your wrestling with the steering wheel on the inside. Then add highway speeds.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CV could be the culprit... andthis may sound odd, but do you have any snow chunks or anything inside one of the wheels?

fowlbusiness

Reaction score
no there aren't any snow chunks. the boot was is still in decent shape, no cracks to speak of and the cvs look like they are still well greased

briankgray

Reaction score
I had the same problem. It was the pitman arm. these years are known for going bad. just replace it and have it aligned.