Stuck injector? #5 missfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shmoe

Reaction score
I recently started having misfire problems with my 99 Tahoe. I bought it for really cheap because it had what seemed to be a blown head gasket. I replaced the head gasket and intake filters and the misfire went away and for 6 months the check engine light never came back on except for an o2 sensor. So all this was done back in August of 2014.

Now, the other day, I noticed the engine starting to miss again but the engine light did not come on... not for another two days. Now it's missing regularly, runs kinda rough, and blows some white possibly a little bluish smoke out the exhaust after warming up and at an idle. If I drive it, the smoke billows for a little bit and then completely stops but the vehicle still runs very rough. Once it warms up at operating Temps it doesn't smoke for the rest of the day. In fact some days it doesn't smoke at all and just runs rough.

I'm parking the vehicle because I don't want to damage the motor. I've been trying to check for a blown head gasket. So I've done the following.
Changed to oil to check for mixed coolant. It was just black and smelled very strongly of gas.
The smoke out the tail pipe also smells strongly of gas but nothing like coolant.
My coolant levels don't seem to be going down at all.
Before I changed the oil I did have low oil pressure. It kind of seemed this but it did need the oil changed.

I'm curious if this could be a stuck injector leaking gas in to the cylinder or a bad lower intake.
Any help would be very appreciated.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a blown FPR, put a pressure guage on the schrader port and test the leakdown on the fuelpressure.

If you had access to a small mirror you might be able to take the intake hat off and open the throttle and look towards the back and see if you have areas that look washed (should look pretty sooty unless the FPR has been leaking and usually the drivers side near #5/#7 will get washed with fuel.)

Shmoe

Reaction score
I did notice that when I took everything apart. Before I did the head gasket that the sooty part that you're talking about was semi covered in what looked like coolant and oil mixed. I didn't understand why half of it was sooty and the other half covered in ooze.