Swapping Gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RWL5420

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone here in the Tahoe forum has installed a gas tank out of a Suburban 1999 (40 gal.) in a Tahoe ? 98 2dr 2wd. They look the same except for the height of the 40 gal tank. I appreciate any input.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant say for sure either way, but in my suburban the tank is installed very far back, I am not sure the Tahoe has enough front-to-back clearance for the tank....also, it is a 42 gallon tank

RWL5420

Reaction score
I cant say for sure either way, but in my suburban the tank is installed very far back, I am not sure the Tahoe has enough front-to-back clearance for the tank....also, it is a 42 gallon tank

Thank you for the info. The suburban I was looking at, the guy already had the gas tank pulled so I did not look as to how or where it mounted. My tahoe tank is right behind the differential.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used to be able to get a larger tank made FOR your vehicle off JCWhitney or the like.... Might try LMCtruck.com also.

RWL5420

Reaction score
Thanks for the info lester. I was asking, I had found a 99 suburban a guy was parting out that had a new gas tank, pump etc in it, he had it at a very good price. I was trying to find out if this tank would fit my Tahoe, but he sold the tank a few days ago so it does not matter now.