Swith to synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red_dirt_runner

Reaction score
If I want to swith the synthetic do I need to do anything special? Special oil filter or anything? I assume its drain the old stuff and dump in the new.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you don't have to flush it out or anything special. Just drain and fill with synthetic. No special filters are required, but you should use a quality filter (no Fram filters). I usually use an Amsoil filter, but if I don't happen to have one I go with either k&n or Mobile1 filters.

the 18th letter

Reaction score
With 105k and about to have the gaskets changed would this be a good time since people talk about synth causing leaks?

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't cause leaks, it just finds the ones that are already there. If you have a small leak, it will tend to get worse with synthetic. But if your engine is not leaking now, it won't start leaking just because you switch to synthetic oil.

the 18th letter

Reaction score
It doesn't cause leaks, it just finds the ones that are already there. If you have a small leak, it will tend to get worse with synthetic. But if your engine is not leaking now, it won't start leaking just because you switch to synthetic oil.

I got a leak I'm going to repair so I figure I should be leak free afterwards and in the best shape to switch. Thanks

Spatch733

Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind, once you switch to synthetic you cannot switch back to regular oil. I dont remember the reason why, but back a few years ago when i worked at a NAPA i remember my boss telling me that.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind, once you switch to synthetic you cannot switch back to regular oil. I dont remember the reason why, but back a few years ago when i worked at a NAPA i remember my boss telling me that.

Damn, I can't believe that people are still spreading that one around, lol. That's a myth that was started by the conventional oil companies many years ago. They were trying to do everything they could to keep people from switching to synthetic. It's not true. You can switch back an forth with no harm to your engine. Don't worry about it.

Annihilator

Reaction score
I like to always run Auto-Rx a couple times before switching to synthetic. Its not a must, but it cleans out all the sludge the conventional left.