T-Bars, One maxed out....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bacon

Reaction score
I recently put a new set of wheels and tires on my 2002 Tahoe and the drivers side rubs just slightly when fully cranked. I went underneath to crank the torsion bars just a tad to clear the tires, but found that the drivers side is already maxed out and the passenger side still has a half inch of threads. Weird thing is, the drivers side already sits about 3/4" lower. Is it possible that I have a bad torsion bar or are they really that different? I was thinking of rotating the key one cog on the bar, but thats a gain of 60 degrees and i think itd be way too much. Anyone ever see this before and do you have any ideas on what to do? I don't want to get the Ford green keys either....

Thanks,

Matt

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is exactly the same way.

I already don't like the angle of the adjustment bolt in the socket so I don't know if Ford keys will help any.

Greb

iamsmithers

Reaction score
My truck does the same thing, but I only noticed it after I lowered it (spindles and cranking the keys down a bit). When I had it in for an alignment I asked the guy about it, he said it was normal. I did some research on it, from what I've found the drivers side is almost always going to be tensioned more than the passengers side. My alignment guy put it this way: you're always sitting in the drivers seat, you don't always have people riding with you, so the driver's side is going to wear down first. Makes sense to me. Not sure if thats completely accurate, but its logical so I'm going with it.

Hope that helps!

Bacon

Reaction score
^^^ That doesnt make any sense to me. The amount of force it would take to account for that half inch of missing thread on the drivers side would be huge. Way more than the weight of a person. I could see maybe a thread or two extra, but a half inch extra would be insane. Do they make a longer adjustment bolt?

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think of it... on my truck the:
Driver
Transfer Case
Fuel
Battery
are all on one side. To offset that load I have, in the glovebox, a pack of Chiclets. Add those together along with the multiplier of mass in motion and the forces on the suspension on that side,over time, is a bit higher than the other. I can see it.

A dealer service tech I know confirms that it's normal on unmodified trucks with any serious miles on them. I imagine a new set of bars would start us back at square one and I am considering it.

Greb