Tahoe PPV why can't you tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pokey162

Reaction score
Will it harm a PPV Tahoe to put a receiver on it and tow a small enclosed trailer and why?

amtronic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the 2013 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe Police and
Special Service Packages book --

Trailer Towing
The Tahoe Police Package (SEO
PPV) is not intended to tow a trailer.
The Tahoe Special Service Package
(SEO 5W4) can be equipped for
trailer towing. See “Trailer Towing”
in the owner manual for more
information.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably Gearing and suspension is setup for police and not truck ride...

pokey162

Reaction score
I understand the difference in PPV & SSV but

I understand the difference between the two police packages but I have a PPV and I need to know if it would harm the vehicle to tow with it. I will only be towing a small enclosed single axle trailer on rare occasions around town not on highway or long distances. Surely someone has tried it or knows the reason not to try it....I hope anyway. :confused:

If not I need to find a good source for used Tahoe receiver bumper pieces and I will just have to find out first hand.:superhack:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont see any issues with a small utility trailer, just keep the weight minimal, like under 1000 pounds IMHO.... They just arent setup to pull something large like a camper.

amtronic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it will tow just fine, I wanted to point out the difference that the PPV was somehow different from the SSV when it came to towing.

pokey162

Reaction score
The differences are something I couldn't get GM to tell me which is why I was hoping someone had tried towing with one and could tell me some more details. I may could do a modification to get it more able to tow but am just flying in the dark for now

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might post in the newer forum (this is OBS forum).....

Maybe someone there has had more experience with these......

pokey162

Reaction score
Thanks...new to forums....thought I was in newer model posts. Any way to move this conversation to there without just starting over?

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it has to do something with the gearing of the rear end. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to tow something small but if you were trying to tow a car or something then that would be a different story

amtronic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Tahoe, even a PPV, is essentially a short-bed Silverado. Certainly it can tow, the differences are in what makes a PPV different from a standard Tahoe, like electrical, gearing, braking, stuff like that. If your trailer is light you should have no trouble towing it. I would search out auto wrecking yards. Most accidents are at the front of the vehicle so the rear end where any hitch stuff is located should be undamaged and easy pickings.