Tahoe Transmission problem 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe53vortec

Reaction score
Hi im a newbie here

I have a 2000 Tahoe 5.3 vortec runs stronger then ever with 230,000 miles on the clock. with slight case of the GM Piston SLAP just when cold for like 30 seconds to a minute:) , truck was driving and shifting like brand new, out of nowhere i heard a BANG while driving on a road going about 20 mph, then i noticed i lost overdrive, and the truck hesitates on shifting with high RPM's untill it hits the next gear, it will go up high before it makes it to other gears 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, but i have no REVERSE it just like neutral, and i have no overdrive, but still goes forward and goes instantly into gear, but only 1st 2nd and 3rd work ! Do i have a bad Trans Pump ? or what ? goes forward but takes awhile to shift gears like if i was in TOWING mode or something or climbing a hill ????

i been driving the truck around the way it is with no overdrive or reverse, with super bad gas mileage now !!!

then my fuel pump recently went bad on me, but i knew it was starting to go cause it was making a whining noise plus when i hit the gas it would bog out from lack of fuel pressure when punching the gas, plus the sender was shot out anyway, i was taking wild guesses on how much gas i had, so it was going to need a new fuel pump anyway, im surprised that is lasted to 230,000 miles and i was forced to park it in a illegal spot cause i could not push a 6000Ibs truck myself, came back and it was gone, i had to pay over $500 to get it out of the impound, im broke now for real, something inside of me just said, sell the truck, but i love it to much, so i can not sell this monster, even tho everything is starting to break on it

sorry for talking so much , but i really need help on what the problem is with the 4l60e transmission, any help would be greatly appreciated !

4l60e, goes forward to 3rd no 4th no REVERSE !

any help would greatly be appreciated

Last edited:

yukonxl1500

Reaction score
Your lucky, when I bought my 00 in 02 the fuel pump went out two days later and again back in August. The first time I did not know about the whine. I knew it was going this last time when the whine returned and the gauge went out and I am only at 170K

tahoe53vortec

Reaction score
fuel pump

what brand fuel pump did you get ?

im getting a AC-DELCO or DELPHI ?? what pump is better ?

stay away from Airtex or cheap aftermarket brands, they will burn out fast

Last edited:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.finishlinetrans.com
Check out the vendor classifieds on performancetrucks.net and one of the guys will hook you a better deal. The 4l60's have alot of aluminum in them and have a tendency to break pretty easily with some added power, you'll have to upgrade or decide if you want to sell the truck.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one sitting about 3 feet away from me right now with the same problem. What you don't realize is that you only have 1st and 3rd gear. Your going to need your trans overhauled. What has happened is your sun gear reaction shell has broken. Don't let some shop try to talk you into just putting in that piece. A lot of places do it, and you just asking for trouble down the road. A reman from GM really isn't that bad. I could show you a picture if I knew how to upload it. I think this one is going out at $1700 can't remember if that was with the install or not though.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, it could be worse. My 94 Chevy trans went out at 140k, and I lost FIRST gear. Try getting your vehicle moving with no first gear. No warning... just all of the sudden no moving.

Trans shop said it's a safeguard to keep you from burning up the entire transmission. I got mine rebuilt for $1200.

BH

tnrjp21

Reaction score
41racing is right. Our 02 broke this part just before the warranty expired. Dealership replaced the part. Same thing happened at 78k miles. We replaced with a Jasper tranny for the warranty. Total cost was about $2,300. I'm sure you have done something by now, but maybe this will help someone.