Third brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidsmith240

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have an 01 Tahoe and the third brake light went out completely...the normal brake lights still work, is this normal? I believe the third light is LED...and is just above the glass tailgate window.
Do you think it's a fuse or just replace the third light?

cttownsend

Reaction score
Which fuse was it?? Just got an 01 and no 3rd light or power mirror action. Checked all fuses and couldn't find a blown one. None are marked power window and emergency/brake lights work fine on other 2,....just the 3rd n/w. No power at light.

cttownsend

Reaction score
Nevermind,,...didn't bother engaging brake pedal (I was alone) and only turned on emergency flashers,...which DOESN'T turn on the 3rd light. Yea, I've got power. Must be corrosion at the connectors if they're supposed to last 20k hours.....or too much vibration from shutting that mammoth door.

JdSwiper

Reaction score
I used a voltage tester I purchased from Autozone for $3.50 to test the plug to the brake light to see it has power which means brake light is junk. Ordered a fancy one from ID Carid for $70

JdSwiper

Reaction score
HaHa.. Thanks, yea, that's almost identical to the one I got! Lol.. Probably could of saved some dough! I'm a brand person for some odd reason, idk, I'm restarted!! lol

cttownsend

Reaction score
No way JD,...you're not "restarted" nor RETARDED, lol & JK.....we've ALL gotten burned at sometime or another. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I just bought an '01. It was 6 degrees out in Queens, wind blowing 20 mph. The S-Bag said it had 159k,....it had 179k. He said new tires,...decent tread but no 2 tires were a match (VERY bad for 4wd transfer cases). He said rebuilt rear-end,..he took an abs axle out of a donor, rebuilt the meatball, cut-off the ebrake and snipped the abs controls at the axle. I could go on for hours (hidden front-end collision damage), but my job has become making her "whole" again,...and I'm making good progress. It was just too Fing cold to go through it properly. Live and learn. At least I've got a rebuilt tc, tranny isn't slipping and the engine isn't blowing.

JdSwiper

Reaction score
Daang!!!!!! I purchased mine in similar conditions, I just kind of got lucky. So far, so good, knock on wood! I'm planning on going through it pretty thoroughly this week as we've gotten some good weather!

Last edited:

cttownsend

Reaction score
Upside is my cousin is letting me use 2 bays at his shop for the Winter. Lol, I had to "hide-a-key" on my daughters Blazer so I threw it on the lift to give it a "looksee." A far cry from crawling under it on my gravel driveway with weather!! GOD those days SUCKED!!! Believe me,....ALL our vehicles will be in top notch condition this Spring.

JdSwiper

Reaction score
Lmao......There ya go, good for you and good luck!

Last edited: