Ticking noise in 2015 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bossmare

Reaction score
I have a "ticking" noise in my 2015 Tahoe. You can't hear it when you're inside the vehicle but VERY noticeable from the outside. I have had it to the dealer twice and they keep saying there's nothing wrong and this is inherent to the fuel injection system. I have not been able to finds others with this problem. Sounds like a tappet or a belt or fan beating on something. I am almost at the end of my bumper to bumper and worried about a major repair. This can't be normal on a $65k vehicle.....I usually drive my Tahoe's (I have had 3) about 100k miles and just don't think this one will make it....Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The direct injection motors have an inherent ticking noise. This noise kind of duplicates the sound of a sticking lifter, but it isn't. It is actually the injectors working normally. Our Tahoe has it, as well as other GM products with the direct injection engines, including the C7 Corvettes. It is very noticeable to "car folks" when you're outside the car.

bossmare

Reaction score
The direct injection motors have an inherent ticking noise. This noise kind of duplicates the sound of a sticking lifter, but it isn't. It is actually the injectors working normally. Our Tahoe has it, as well as other GM products with the direct injection engines, including the C7 Corvettes. It is very noticeable to "car folks" when you're outside the car.
Thank you for replying. This is what the dealer said but I'm not happy with it. Can't believe they designed it that way......

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. This is what the dealer said but I'm not happy with it. Can't believe they designed it that way......
It is inherent in any high pressure injection system. You need the high pressures for the direct injection to work properly. The same type of setup has been reliably used for years in diesel engines. Diesels tend to be noisier to begin with, so you don't hear the ticking.

Miami-Dade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had rental 16 Tahoe for a week..Did the same thing..I was wondering why it was doing it..I thought it might have been the injectors but now I know for sure.

BTW loved it big time..Hated giving it back to Enterprise.

Last edited:

bossmare

Reaction score
Had rental 16 Tahoe for a week..Did the same thing..I was wondering why it was doing it..I thought it might have been the injectors but now I know for sure.

BTW loved it big time..Hated giving it back to Enterprise.

Thanks for the input.....I do like the vehicle....just some of the new things on this model take some getting used to for me!