Timing scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an over the counter scan tool that can set timing without buying an expensive one? Will one of the "Blue tooth" scanners work? What is an average shop charge to set timing?

Last edited:

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It a 99. Well, I ordered a blue tooth ob2 unit that suppose to give timing settings. I also bought the Torgue app to run it. I guess I will see Friday.

Last edited:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did it turn out?

If it didnt work let us know, there is a way to set the distributor with a logic probe (very cheap tool from radioshack)......

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok..Finally had a chance to mess with the blue tooth some.(pretty cool I might add) It says timing is at 18 degrees, no neg in front of it, so I will assume the its fast. I retarded distributor about a 1/4 inch at first and the setting never changed. I did pop the throttle up to 2k and then checked it each time, but the number remained the same. I slowed the timing down so far it started knocking, so I went back up to about half of what it was when I started. Low as I can get it to read is 16 degrees. The code 1345 still pops up on starting only. Once reset while engine is running it will not come back on until I restart the engine. Any other ideas? Would getting timing set at a shop fix the code or do I needs to replace the camshaft position sensor?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you arent reading the physical timing with that field, you are reading computer adjusted timing from 0*.

I think you will need a real scantool i.e. Tech II to set the CKP/CAMSHAFT correlation.....

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the camshaft position (new crank position sensor already replaced) sensor and the code still comes up. I guess to the shop it goes now, unless any other last try ideas are out there...

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just kept rotating mine untill the CEL went away....