Timing....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sejo

Reaction score
What does it take to set the timing the our Tahoes? I drive a '99.

Mechanic told me that the timing was 6-degrees retarded; what are some of the side effects of the truck running this way? What are the ways of adjusting the timing - is a new timing chain the only answer?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
To my knowledge, there is no way to time a stock engine in that year of Tahoe. The distributor is correctly installed one way. Now when installed it could be a tooth off however, that will throw a code.

How does your mechanic know the timing is 6* off?

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timming must be set with a scanner. it needs to be at zero degrees + or - 1 degree.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below is the text from GM Service manual for 1997 Chevrolet C Pickup 5.0L, 5.7L, and 7.4L
Accordind to this you don't set the timing but the timing offset.
You need a "Scan Tool" that plugs into the truck and can read the data from the trucks computer.
Besides from that, it looks like a normal timing procedure.
You might be able to borrow a scan tool from a parts store, or at least use their tool and do it in their parking lot.

Setting Timing
Camshaft Retard Offset Test
The ignition timing cannot be adjusted. The distributor may need adjusting to prevent crossfire. To insure proper alignment of the distributor, perform the following:

With the ignition OFF, install a scan tool to the DLC.
Start the engine and bring to normal operating temperature.

Important
Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM

Increase engine speed to 1000 RPM.
Monitor the Cam Retard Offset.
If the Cam Retard indicates a value of 0° ± 2°, the distributor is properly adjusted.
If the Cam Retard does not indicate 0° ± 2°, the distributor must be adjusted.
Adjusting Camshaft Retard Offset

With the engine OFF, slightly loosen the distributor hold down bolt.
Important: Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM

Start the engine and raise engine speed to 1000 RPM.
Using a scan tool monitor Cam Retard Offset.
Rotate the distributor as follows:
To compensate for a negative reading, rotate the distributor in the counterclockwise direction.
To compensate for a positive reading, rotate the distributor in the clockwise direction.
Repeat step 4 until 0° ±2° is obtained.
Turn the ignition OFF.
Tighten the distributor hold-down bolt to 3N·m(25 lb. ft.).
Start the engine, raise engine speed to 1000 RPM and recheck Camshaft Retard Offset.

Sejo

Reaction score
To my knowledge, there is no way to time a stock engine in that year of Tahoe. The distributor is correctly installed one way. Now when installed it could be a tooth off however, that will throw a code.

How does your mechanic know the timing is 6* off?

He had this MACHINE: LINK

redhat-z

Reaction score
Cheap timing fix.

My 98 Yukon needed to be tweaked a little after removing intake manifold to replace intake gaskets. It was pinging under load. I bought the $90 ODBII scan tool from Harbor Freight. It was giving me a "Spark Misfire" error I believe. All I did was barely turn the dizzy, read code, clear code, and repeat until code disappeared. Runs great now.

anunez

Reaction score
thanks I think this will help me just finished replacing the intake and head gaskets on 99 Tahoe, getting a P1345 reading on scaner. This should fix that. Thanks again.