Tires "chirping" - odd problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

177mph

Reaction score
Background:

2007 Tahoe LTZ 5.3 4wd 109k miles. owned since 31 miles and regular maintenance.

In the last few months after an hour long drive - when I pull into a parking garage and make tight turns - the back tires appear to lock up or "chip" during the turns. I don't notice this when leaving after the truck has been sitting for 6 or 8 hours. I can feel the tires grabbing during the turns - which is odd.

I always run in 2wd unless we get snow.

Ideas?

TIA

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check tire pressure and check the RPO code at the glove compartment for lock diff code. If has a lock then might be time for fluid change.

Brett Miller

Reaction score
My 2014 Corvette has same issue WHEN COLD. It is probably normal. Feels like rear end but is actually coming from the front when turned almost to the locks. The newer/grippier your tires the more evident it will be.

177mph

Reaction score
My 2014 Corvette has same issue WHEN COLD. It is probably normal. Feels like rear end but is actually coming from the front when turned almost to the locks. The newer/grippier your tires the more evident it will be.

Thx. Mine is the opposite. Only when hot. Going to try and change the rear end fluid and see if it improves.