to those who have a BB tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i am finally on the list, and I have a few questions that I wanted to ask the guys (and Gals) who have already had this done...

How agressive did you tune your truck?

Did you get the 91 octane tune and whats your gas milage?

Any recomendations?

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i am finally on the list, and I have a few questions that I wanted to ask the guys (and Gals) who have already had this done...

How agressive did you tune your truck?

Did you get the 91 octane tune and whats your gas milage?

Any recomendations?

All depends on what you want out of it. My 'Ho is my DD as well as the family ride when needed so I didn't want a race truck out of it, plus I started the process before gas prices fell so my main goal was efficiency, that plus helping the tranny wear better. It shifts just a little firmer just a little quicker. It accelerates just a little faster just a little easier, seems to take a little less pressure on the accelerator to get her going. When you stomp on it she will get up and walk. As far as mpg, hard to tell. I only had a chance to check a tank or two before my odometer crapped out on me. I think there was an improvement but it was too little data to tell. Justin figures I picked up between 13-14 hp so I'm pretty happy about that.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am not sure what the limits are i suppose, i will be asking justin many questions when i get my cable... i basicly want the most agressive tune i can get before i cross over into the impractical range... My truck is my DD still so i need it to hold together and dont want to put it through more then it can handle. I suppose i want to have my cake and eat it too! lol

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went with the 93 octane, 100% TM removed with the tow haul button, firmer shifts all across the board, just mainly the most performance i can gain..

With a tune your not going to hard your truck..a firmer shift means less slipping, which means less heat in the tranny..heat is what kills trannys..its not until you start gettin into a cam, heads etc that you can hurt the motor..dont be afraid to ask for the most aggressive tune for a DD..Justin is very good at what he does.

The biggest thing i noticed was how it just keeps pulling..once it really kicks in at say 3k it pulls solid up until the 5700 shift limit, then its immediatly in 2nd..none of the big lag like it is stock....also since the shift tables are changed, when you stomp on it like your passing someone, it really comes to life..same with merging onto the interstate..if i come up to the interstate doin 35-40 ill be going 80 before i even know it..if i keep my foot out of it i can see a few mpg gain over stock

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 tuned fairly aggressive but not enough tm removed for my liking (due to the awd). I'm extremely pleased with the power (+10 solid hp over my superchips tune), mileage increase, transmission calibration (smooth as butter or quick as hell but never jerky), and just the overall driveability has been drastically increased. I find myself volunteering to drive as the DD just cuz I enjoy the truck so much. The 6.0 pulls way harder compared to the superchips tune, I can't imagine going from stock to a tune. Mileage went up another 20 or so miles to a tank, going from 12 stock to 16 with the tune, intake, and exhaust. I can get damn near 20mpg highway if I'm not fighting the wind or going 120.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn i cant wait! i forget when i got on the list, already seems like i have been waiting forever, think i have like 4 weeks still though... is there anything else i should get done before i tune? I have gone through the checklist pretty well, intake, muffler, replaced Fuel filter, cleaned all the parts that can be removed and cleaned, sea foamed evrything, switched to RP Synthetic.... not sure whatelse i can do to get the truck in top shape. I still have not changed the tranny fluid, a little scared to do it to be perfectly honest. Should i replace my O2 sensors? my MAF looks damn near new, i cleaned it a few weeks ago and it looked brand new before i cleaned it.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious, about how often should an O2 sensor be replaced anyways?

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn i cant wait! i forget when i got on the list, already seems like i have been waiting forever, think i have like 4 weeks still though... is there anything else i should get done before i tune? I have gone through the checklist pretty well, intake, muffler, replaced Fuel filter, cleaned all the parts that can be removed and cleaned, sea foamed evrything, switched to RP Synthetic.... not sure whatelse i can do to get the truck in top shape. I still have not changed the tranny fluid, a little scared to do it to be perfectly honest. Should i replace my O2 sensors? my MAF looks damn near new, i cleaned it a few weeks ago and it looked brand new before i cleaned it.

With all the parameters Justin looks at if there's anything out of whack he'll find it. He diagnosed a small leak in my intake manifold gasket. It's under vacuum (idle) so it doesn't really affect the performance of the truck or the mileage. I didn't have the time to fix it myself or the cash to pay to have it done so he tuned around it. I'm told it's an easy fix but since I've never done one I want to wait until I have plenty of time then I plan on tackling it myself. It's a small air leak so once it's fixed the computer will compensate for it so I shouldn't even need to have the tune tweaked.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch an O2 sensor until you believe there is a problem with one, they are exposed to heat all the time and can get brittle, plus from what I hear is Justin can tell when doing your tune if one isn't working right, replace it then.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He tuned my truck two weeks ago and it drives great. I'm running 93oct in this and it will really go. Merging onto interstates is a breeze now. I also have the tow/haul tables remapped. I'm still getting about 16mpg tho...

BUT I still need to get rid of this Flowmaster exhaust setup in favor of something more free-flowing like Corsa.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF IS TM? no but seriously, what does TM stand for "Transmision Mondahkowldkhsdfk?"

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF IS TM? no but seriously, what does TM stand for "Transmision Mondahkowldkhsdfk?"

Torque management and I have no idea what it really does. I think something to do with how much power reaches the wheels when you hit the accelerator, like things are backed off a little to give you smoother starts, but I could be way off. When Justin asked me how much TM I wanted removed I told him I had no idea and told him to do what he thought was best given what I told him I was looking for.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
according to nickleahy... TM is also a function of the tow/haul buttom. Sound like i will have the tow/haul button remove the TM 100% and leave the standard driving function a bit less aggressive.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
according to nickleahy... TM is also a function of the tow/haul buttom. Sound like i will have the tow/haul button remove the TM 100% and leave the standard driving function a bit less aggressive.

My understanding is the tow/haul button is just a switch between two sets of variables the truck uses when driving. One table or set is adjusted for normal driving while the other set is adjusted to give better performance when towing. Since the button just tells it to look at a different table, my understanding is Justin can tune that other table to be as aggressive as you want, if you don't plan on towing it doesn't have to be tow type settings, so, if I understand things, that means he can tune it so instead of changing to a tow mode it can change to a mode with all the TM removed. So, TM isn't directly or intrinsically a function of the tow/haul button but it can be made so it can be adjusted with the t/h button. Did that make sense? And does anybody want to chime in and tell me if I'm even close to knowing what the hell I'm talking about?:cool:

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no thats about right from my understanding... innitially i was under the impresion that the T/H button only changed the shift patterns though, i didnt think it looked at anythign else. although i do enjoy driving my how around with the T/H button on, it has more pep

steven johnson

Reaction score
If you have a tune on your truck , can the dealer tell if you have one. even if you remove the tune before going to dealer. (dealer says they can vold your warranty YES or NO.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this was a worry of mine for a while... and yes, the dealer can void the warranty... im taking the chance

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He tuned my truck two weeks ago and it drives great. I'm running 93oct in this and it will really go. Merging onto interstates is a breeze now. I also have the tow/haul tables remapped. I'm still getting about 16mpg tho...

BUT I still need to get rid of this Flowmaster exhaust setup in favor of something more free-flowing like Corsa.

LOL...Did you steal my avatar???