torque converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ventu71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have been trying to make my hoe as fast and fuel efficient as possible. It never seems to be enough :ktoe: :ktoe: , I allready have CAI (volant), headers, corsa exhaust and superchips, but none of the aftermentioned seems to help off the line, so I was wondering if a torque converter would help and I found this:

#5LX. This is a 10 inch lock-up converter for a LS1 type motor with a 4L60E transmission. Lower 60 foot times and improved quarter mile times, an average of 1/2 second reduction! The Ultimate Top of the Line Lock-Up Converter. Cost $620.00

http://www.partshp.com/Converters.htm

What do you guys think? any experience with torque converters?
Thanx

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The torque management is what makes it sluggish off the line. Get a custom tune that removes some of it but be aware that it will be harder on the drive train.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wat gear ratio do you have? are you 2wd or 4wd? most likely you have 3:73s mayb even 3:42s. going to 4:10s will really perk it up! also doing a custom tune to remove tq management will help, also it will benefit you more since you have headers and other bolt ons, most handhelds arent setup for headers.

oh one more thing wat headers did you go with? if you went with long tubes that might be a reason for loosing some lower end power.

ventu71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 73shark.:thumbsup:

z71offroader: 3:73 4wd JBA ceramic headers (shorty).

I guess a custom tune would help, but I dont like the idea of going back to the shop everytime I need to send my truck to the dealer, Ive been told that if the computer doesnt have the original file, when the dealer updates it it'll screw it up. Thats why I went with superchips, to be able to retune it to stock everytime I need to. So I thought something mechanical in the tranny could help too, but I have no experinece:confused: Where can I get the 4:10 from? any idea how much? thanx:thumbsup:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer would be one place you could get a set of 4.10 gears. Of course if 4WD, then you'll need two sets. I'm guessing if you had them do it, it be $1K-$2K. Just a guess.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt go through the dealer for gears, first off they will probably charge u more than somewhere else and also they probably dont do gear swaps as often as a offroad shop, so id suggest going to a local offroad shop and have them do it. you will probably be looking at about a grand for parts and labor.

how are u liking ur jbas? did you install them yourself or have a shop put them on?

ventu71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are ok, fit and finish is good and they dont leak. I took it to a shop for installation, 4h aprox. I did not feel too much performance gain, only at wot.

Thanx everyone.