Torsion bar cranking....yay or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read up a bit on this, and while it sounds like the easiest way to get an easy couple of inches out of the front suspension to level it up, I'm nervous about the extra stress it will place on the UCAs/LCAs, CV joints, ect., and the decrease in ride quality. So, I wanted to see if anyone here has done it, and if so, to what extreme. Best part about it is that it's free, so no impact on my already very stressed wallet...but if I'm going to have to replace a whole buch of other crap in 6 months from all of the added wear, then I'll skip it and just save up for an actual leveling kit.

My truck is a 2000 Yukon SLE (new body style) with 97XXX miles on it. To the best of my knowledge, nothing in the suspension has been replaced. If I did do the torsion bar crank, I think the max I'd go with it would be 1", maybe 1.5". Like I said, I just want to level the front of the truck, and maybe add just a hair of extra room in the front for the Nitto 285 75 16 Terra Grapplers I plan on getting later this year.

So, who has done it? How much lift did you get? How much of a decrease in ride comfort did you experience? Any other negative effects?

Yuke2K = total n00b when it comes to suspension stuff.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't crank the sh*t out of the bars you'll be fine, just maintain flat cv angles if possible. The main issue with cranking on these stock 1/2 ton trucks is the low spring rate which requires different torsion keys with a higher index to achieve the desired amount of lift. Go find some stock f-150 keys and have an alignment shop install them and re-align the truck, then go buy some longer front shocks and enjoy having a truck 2" taller.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks boost. After seeing 2001Yuke's new lift w/ the different keys, it got me thinking a little more about it.

You're from denver, so do you recommend anyone around here to do the work? I live in castle rock so anything major I just take the yuke down to MedVed and call it a day...not too familiar with any other shops in the area, as I do most of the little stuff myself in the garage.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, found brand new OEM ford keys for like $23 a piece online, part number XL3Z-5B328-CA. Is that correct? Any suggestions as to what shocks to use?

Like I said, I know nothing about suspension. Hell, I don't even know the length of the stock shocks.:smilielol:

ETA:

Just found some Pro Comp ES1000s calibrated for a 2" lift at 4 Wheel Parts for $28 bucks each! I don't actually "off road" this truck (maybe a drit trail or some other radom crap, nothing crazy), so this is mostly for looks. Does anyone have an opinion on the ES1000s? They are supposedly good for stock replacements, so and the price is right.

I don't know how much I'd get dinged on labor, but it's looking like the parts will only be about $110 bucks.

Last edited:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ES1000 is garbage, I have yet to sell a set of them. I'll hook you some shocks but you'll want to spend the loot on nicer ones. PM me dude, I work at a shop and I'll take care of ya as long as you're chill with driving to denver on a saturday.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ride didn't change, but they are different keys like he had mentioned they have a different index more like the F150s. I went with a tire that was TOO big so be careful. Boost is hooking me up with some coil spacers for the rears. I think it will take care of the problem.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest tire I want to run is 285 75 16. I think some Nitto Terra Grapplers in that size will look pretty badass with the lift I plan on doing.

Last edited:

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, seems like it rides the same. We will see what happens when I get the spacers for the rear from Boost. I think that since it will lift the rear it will put more pressure on the front and decrease the ride....I am probably wrong (as usual) but we will see.

I have also been looking at the Air Lift 1000 helper springs to keep the truck level if I am to tow anything. I think that I will want them if I am having this rubbing problem and throw a trailer on the back. Opinions?

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, seems like it rides the same. We will see what happens when I get the spacers for the rear from Boost. I think that since it will lift the rear it will put more pressure on the front and decrease the ride....I am probably wrong (as usual) but we will see.

I have also been looking at the Air Lift 1000 helper springs to keep the truck level if I am to tow anything. I think that I will want them if I am having this rubbing problem and throw a trailer on the back. Opinions?

I had never heard of the AirLift systems, so I googled them and checked it out. Very cool! The price was only listed at $74.99 though, is that for the whole kit? If so, I'm wondering if it's not a little on the el-cheapo side of things, cuz that's awfully low for a full rear air kit. Granted, you have to add your own compressor and controls, so maybe thats where the majority of the additional cost comes in. They sure look neat though. I'll wait for Boost to chime in on those since he's probably heard more about them than I have.

As for the spacers putting more pressure on the front, I doubt it will affect anything too much...you're only adding 1" of additional travel, so I don't think that it would change the weight distribution to the point of putting more load on the front suspension. But who knows, I'm sorta new at this myself...

biomektattoo

Reaction score
I just had my 01 tahoe done last week. we used new torsion keys to lift the fron about 2.5 in and spacers in the reaer for about 1in lift. I also put new skyjackers on it. I am runnin 285 maxxis bighorn mudders , and it rides great!. I kinda thought it would give me a rougher ride, but not the case! Very happy with what I did for the money.looks much beefier now tooo , and is never a bad thing!
Nathan

Caddis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Ford keys on my Sierra, and did put new longer shocks in after that, it was too much as for spread in the shock, going over large kelly humps or speed bumps, it pulled the front end down hard. Put some pro comp 9000s on it and it was fine, and level. Loved it. I am tossing about the idea of a 3 inch body lift on my Hoe, for the heck of it.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p.s.
listen to boost he helped me , and everything he told me was gold!

Boost lives/works about a half hour north of me in Denver...he will be the one I call when it's time to get this stuff done. Just need the money... :rolleyes:

I'll be doing the keys, shocks, rear spacers and 285 75 16 Nitto TG's, so I'm saving up to do it all in one shot.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Ford keys on my Sierra, and did put new longer shocks in after that, it was too much as for spread in the shock, going over large kelly humps or speed bumps, it pulled the front end down hard. Put some pro comp 9000s on it and it was fine, and level. Loved it. I am tossing about the idea of a 3 inch body lift on my Hoe, for the heck of it.

Come to think of it I am feeling the same thing. When I hit the big bumps it does seem to pull back down really hard causing my rear end to almost leave the ground. But other than that the dampening hasn't changed.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it I am feeling the same thing. When I hit the big bumps it does seem to pull back down really hard causing my rear end to almost leave the ground. But other than that the dampening hasn't changed.

Thats good to know, thanks to both of you. So, to avoid this, you recommend going with an aftermarket shock in the front, but stock length? Or did I miss something? Pardon my suspension retardedness. :shy:

biomektattoo

Reaction score
I put skyjacker hydros on my tahoe. I got em all four for 138 delivered. I also got 2 different lengths for the front and back since the front was a bigger lift with the keys!.4wheelsupply.com. They just asked what lifts i was doing on each end to match em up better.hope this helps!
Nathan

biomektattoo

Reaction score
side note. I just put on maxxis bighorn s 285s . They cost quite a bit less than the nittos and I like them much better. Had the maxxis buckshots on my jeep and they were the best tire I ever had.The bighorns are the next step up .
Nathan